Please sign in to post.

Bahn Card

Can someone please remind me how the Bahn Card works to get a reduced rate on tickets. I am hoping to buy more tickets in advance this time to save money, but I would still like to use the Bahn Card. Last time we were in Germany, we bought all our tickets at an agent and then explained the card and just set it up for us. So, other than remembering to have it on my person on the train I can't think how to use it to buy tickets on line.

Any info is always appreciated!

Posted by
1072 posts

Hi, Emily. The way you get the discount when you purchase tickets online is to click the link near the bottom of the ticket search window that says "further search options" or "weitere Suchoptionen". This takes you to a pop-up window that has further filter options. In the middle of that window is a drop-down box in which you choose what kind of BahnCard you have: none, BahnCard 25 2nd class, BahnCard 25 1st class, etc. This will adjust the price that is displayed and charged.

Also, you can load your BahnCard into your Bahn online account along with your Handy-tickets so you don't have to have the physical card with you, or as a backup if it's lost or stolen. Instructions are on the site under BahnCard tab.

Since you've used a BahnCard before, I assume you know it's an automatically renewing subscription. You have to send your cancellation notice to arrive six weeks before the card expires, or it just renews and charges your card. I sent my cancellation the day I received my 3-month BahnCard and it worked perfectly. The card was valid for the full time and then cancelled itself with no issues.

Hope this helps. I'd paste in screeen shots but it won't let me.

Posted by
19232 posts

"click the link near the bottom of the ticket search window that says "further search options" or "weitere Suchoptionen". This takes you to a pop-up window "

Actually, it's not a pop-up window but the Bahn's Query Webpage, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en. I've bookmarked this page and just go there directly.

I travel in Germany often and use a combination of Länder-Tickets and a few Savings Fare tickets, and I've never found that a BahnCard would save me enough on top of that to pay for it's cost. But, by all means, compare it both ways for your travel; yours might be different.

And don't forget the automatic reissue (Abonement) feature.

Posted by
51 posts

There are sometimes offers for 3 month trial Bahncards http://bit.ly/1KfogmI . You m u s t cancel your Bahncard trial in time or it will change automatically into a 1 year one! Especially the 25 type is good as it works on the saving fares both domestic and international. If you get it at 19 € the break even point seems to be 76 € in ticket prices.
Generally speaking, DB fares are a 2sided thing: (1) regular fares if you just show up and buy a ticket - very expensive. (2) Saving fare ("Sparpreis") - good to dirt cheap. So with a bit of flexibility on schedule and early planning very good deals can be made.

BC - just fill the appropriate line on the online booking form - and you'll see the automatically adjusted prices. And when in the booking phase they might want to know your BC number (I personally don't own one)

Michael

Posted by
980 posts

I used a Bahn Card when I lived in Germany but I was traveling regularly across the country for business so it made sense but I can't image it would be useful for the limited amount of trips a group of tourist would make compared to using Länder tickets like Lee suggests.

If you are still interested the Trial BahnCard (Probe BahnCard) is your best bet: http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/bahncard/overview/probebahncard.shtml. Just don't forget to cancel it before it renews.

DJ