Please sign in to post.

backpacks

suggestions on good affordable backpacks for 3 week trip. what is too big? Thanks

Posted by
1806 posts

The Eagle Creek line is very durable and offers a lifetime warranty. You might consider something like the Explorer LT Women's Fit which comes with a detachable daypack.

I do not recommend backpacks that can also double as a wheeled bag - the frame makes the pack WAY too heavy.

Even though you are going for 3 weeks, keep the load light by knowing you'll do laundry along the way (whether by hand or in a laundromat).

It's always best to try on your pack in a store to make sure it is fitting correctly on your torso. Have the salesclerk add some weighted sandbags to your pack so you understand how much you can comfortably carry on your back without causing stress. And test your pack before you leave by loading it up and going out to take a short hike/walk in your neighborhood (include some hills or stairs) - if you can't cover at least 1 mile in a fully loaded pack, you need to rethink what you are bringing with you on your trip.

Posted by
769 posts

figure something that is still carry-on-able. 35-40 Litres is about that size - or else it may get too big. Thats about 2500-3500 cubic inches ( i think!). Another way is look at the carry on bags you think can fit all your gear - then take those cubic inches in a good well designd pack. You have to try them on since like shoes they can all fit a bit diff. Have a sporting goods pro help fit it you can! dont skimp on good quality!

Posted by
1158 posts

Sue,

I am pro Eagle Creek. I have a Traveller Trek line I got from REI last year for $75. It's under 3 lbs and about 2100 cu in. It doesn't seem to be very large, but I try to pack light. It has hide away straps, the hip belt as well. I also just got a Lowe Apline Menak from Sierra trading post for $60. It's the top loader type and has a few side pockets and compression cords whcih I like a lot, but your can't tuck in the straps.
Good web sites for backpacks shopping are: ebags.com , sierratradingpost.com rei.com
On the first 2 sites you can read reviews and see more pictures of the backpacks.
Before you make a purchase go on google and look for discount coupons for those sites. I got one for free shipping on sierra trading. It saved me about $15.

Posted by
9 posts

Hi,

I've had the High Sierra Passport 100 for 3 years now. It's done one "hand-luggage only" trip to Europe plus numerous domestic trips (business & leisure). It's a little heavier than others in this size range but seems to be very durable. I'm a big fan of the zip away harness.

Posted by
78 posts

Sue,
I just bought a Jansport euro sak from campmor for $49. msrp on those are about $150. I've heard it's a good bag.
I also own a from ebags. it;s there Weekend Convertible.Its a great bad and under $50.

Both are carryon size with no wheels

Posted by
590 posts

I bought the Eagle Creek Explorer LT for my 3 week Europe holiday and I love the fact that it is:
1. Carry on size
2. detachable day pack
3. Lifetime warranty
4. excellent waist band, back and shoulder padding
5. Comes with a packable duffle bag (that can also be used as a rain cover) that I can use to pack full of souveniers for my way home!!
6. Straps can be zipped away so it can be used as a luggage bag in case you do have to check it.
It is pretty pricey (I paid $280 CDN), but as an avid backpacker I would never go cheap on a bag. Especially on one that doesn't have proper padding on the waist, shoulders and back.