Please sign in to post.

Backpacks?

I will be moving to Florence to study abroad for 4 months, however before i'll be traveling for 3 weeks. My parents are shipping me some of my stuff (expensive I know but its the only way) because I cannot travel for 3 weeks with 4 months worth of stuff. So my question is, does anyone have any good suggestions of backpacks, internal frame would work the best that I can put all my clothes for 3 weeks in, and have other places to stow random things (water bottle, books, guides, etc)

Posted by
11507 posts

For three weeks you don't need an internal frame backpack, just a good regular one will do.
Since parents are sending you the bulk of your stuff pack light and have fun.

I am going for almost 4 weeks and I am only taking a small ( 20 in. ) rollaboard, and my daughter is only bringing a back pack, a small one as she is only 12, but then her clothes are small too!! ( Get this she takes size 00 jeans,, ever heard of anything tiny,, LOL )

There are many posts on packing light here, look them up, and follow them , packing light is very freeing.

Posted by
1449 posts

MEI has a bag with a light internal frame; see http://www.onebag.com/rsrc.html for it and other recommended bags. It will last you for many years and would still be a bag you'd want to use as an older adult; so will others such as the Rick Steves bag. You should also read up on the travel light philosophy on that site; it doesn't matter if you're traveling for 3 weeks or 4 months, all the clothes you'd need can fit into one bag.

Posted by
1158 posts

An internal frame backpack doesn't have anything to do with the trip length.If you will be carrying your backpack a lot on your back, you will need an internal frame one. Comfortable shoulder straps and waist strap. The last one is importantfor long days because it will help you to carry the weight on your hips instead of shoulders and back.
Many backpacks have a removable internal frame, if you want to carry less weight.

I bought several good backpacks from REI.com, ebags.com and SierraTradingPost.com. Rei and Sierra sell mostly closeout stuff at very good prices. Also you can get discount coupons for those 2 sites if you do a google search.
Ebags has good pictuees, different views of the backpack, which will help you a lot.
You aslo can try Dick's sporting Goods if you have one in our area.

Posted by
769 posts

This is like the hiking boot purchase - you almost need to go in an test them for feel and fit at a special store. REI has lots os sales and helpful staff to narrow down the selection. Then buy from them or online etc. I like North Face and if you go to UK you can get the cool and very well made Fjallraven brand from Sweden. But with so many great choices in the US with great materials - check out a shop. Since you need to pack lite (and unless you camping a whole lot) - a 50-60Litre bag may be more than enough. If youre real good at lite (2-3 changes of clothes and all light weight alpine material etc) a 45L may be fine. But you may need to ship home souvineers along the way