Please sign in to post.

Backpacks

Hello! My wife and I are traveling to Paris in September, then flying out of Rome. Our airline to Paris is Iceland air and from Rome is Lufthansa. We plan to use Osprey backpacks like this one... http://www.trailspace.com/gear/osprey/atmos-50/ Anyway, our question is.... Will we have any problems just carrying these on? Or would there be a possibility of the airline making us check them. If so, how do you protect them from getting messed up by the airline? I've heard of strong bags to put them in? The hope is that we will just be able to carry them on with us! Thanks so much, I would appreciate any advice!
Jonah

Posted by
19092 posts

According to Amazon, the backpack is 13" x 28" x 12". The total is 53". Iceland Air's website says carryon is limited to 45 total inches. I'd say no to carryon on Iceland Air. Luftahansa limits carryons to 21.625" x 15.75" x 7.875". That's 45.25", about the same as Icelandic Air. Plus, the sizing boxes for Lufthansa are 21-5/8 inches long; no way will 28" fit. You might escape scrutiny, but better expect to check it. Note also, that at 3½# for the bag alone, you will be limited to 14# of stuff on Lufthansa. Not many people can keep the weight below 14#. Lufthansa has weighed my bag.

Posted by
32209 posts

Jonah, The regulations for carry-on luggage for European airlines are somewhat more strict, and they do often enforce them. Also, they usually only allow ONE carry-on item. That doesn't mean "one plus a personal item such as a Purse", it means ONE ONLY of the approved size. That particular Backpack appears to be available in three different sizes, but I'm not sure if it will be allowed for carry-on? If you do have to check the Packs, make sure that you carry all your valuables with you. If the Packs have to be checked, some options to protect them are: > Some airports provide a "shrink wrapping" service, where the packs are covered with Saran Wrap. > The airline might place it in a plastic bin for the trip along the conveyor belts. > You could pack a small folding Duffel to place the packs in during air travel. Something like This may work? > You could pack a black "trash bag" and place them in that. Those are not generally too durable, and you'd have to make sure the luggage tag remained viewable. Happy travels!

Posted by
1167 posts

I have carried on my Atmos 50 a number of times.

Posted by
1152 posts

I don't have an Atmos 50, but I do have and did use an Osprey Porter pack on a trip to Europe. It was pretty durable and sturdy. But I agree with the others about size. You may be forced to check it, especially if you pack it full. Do you have these packs? Have you bought them yet? Can you fit your stuff in a lighter, smaller pack? You might want to look at such options. The question of the best convertible backpack is a perennial question here. For example, Light convertible carry on bags

Posted by
590 posts

I have the Osprey Porter and have traveled numerous times with it and have always carried on with no problems. Its a great bag if you want to check it out.

Posted by
12172 posts

The general problem with true backpacks is they are too long to fit in the bins properly - so you are forced to check them. When you check them, you run the risk of straps catching on machinery and wrecking your pack. If you must check, get a sturdy waterproof bag to put your pack inside. If you won't really be "backpacking", you're better off getting a lightweight convertible carry on (Campmor, Ebags, Rick Steves etc.). They aren't the greatest backpacks for carrying (they lack good structure) but are fine to carry for a mile or two, from a train to lodging, and make up for it by being much easier to live out of than a conventional backpack (suitcase style zippers rather than limited access).

Posted by
15007 posts

Would people please specify WHICH size bag they have....especially if one model comes in numerous sizes. The Atmost 50 comes in three sizes, so, Jonah, which one are we talking about? And regarding the Osprey Porter...it also comes in numerous sizes so just saying the "Porter" will work or won't work is ridiculous. Specify which model SIZE.....please.

Posted by
1437 posts

I've used the RS convertible bag for 3 trips, but just ordered the Osprey Farpoint 55 m/l. It has a zip off daypack which has a sleeve for a hydration pack. We're going to be doing a weeklong bike tour, and quite a bit of hiking so the hydration pack is very appealing. The bag is 24 inches long so technically to big for carryon, but all of the reviews I could find said people were able to carry it on with no problem as it looks small when you take the daypack off, and all said the main bag fit quite well in overhead. Oh...and it only weighs 3.5 lbs total!

Posted by
2 posts

My osprey atmos 50 is a large which is about 3200 cu. in. If you don't fill it full it probably would be about 23in tall. It's gonna be close. I think having a large some what light weight duffle type bag might be a good idea just in case. We will only have one stop in Iceland on the way there, so If the pack is checked it will be moved only to one other plane. Thanks for the ideas. Jonah

Posted by
12172 posts

My rule of thumb: If your bag doesn't fit the carry-on requirements (both size and weight), expect to check it. You may get lucky and not be required to check but my experience is planes are fuller and restrictions on carry-on bags are getting tighter. I encourage people to be considerate of other passengers (even when they don't return the consideration). A bag that is too long to fit properly in the bin has to be turned sideways. It then takes up room for at least two carry-on bags. So keep in mind, even if they allow you to carry the pack on, and you get it into a bin, you may forcing another passenger to fly to Europe with their carry-on under their feet - this is also true of people who carry a second bag and put in an overhead bin instead of under their feet. I miss the good old days when planes were about 60 percent full and there was plenty of room.

Posted by
5517 posts

Brad's rule of thumb "If your bag doesn't fit the carry-on requirements (both size and weight), expect to check it." is definitely true. I'd add, if your bag does not fit under the seat in front of you, be prepared to gate check it. I can't tell you how many times in the last couple of years I've had to gate check a "legal" carry-on bag. Everyone is carrying on more stuff these days. Sometimes it happens on regional planes where legal-size carry-ons just don't fit in the overhead. Sometimes it happens when I am in the last boarding group and prior passengers have already filled up the bins. This doesn't happen so often on transatlantic flights since these are usually larger planes with larger bins. However, the best bet is to pack defensively. If you have something valuable that you don't want to check, keep it in a separate bag inside your carry-on where you can quickly pull it out if you are forced to check.

Posted by
1152 posts

Frank II, I have the Osprey Porter 46 (46 liters). It is 22 x 14 x 9. It is a great bag, but I don't pack it full. Trying to go ever lighter, I didn't take it on my last trip to Europe. I used the Campmor Essential Carry-On instead to save 1 lb. 6 oz. in weight over the Osprey (3 lbs. 2 oz. vs. 1 lb. 12 oz.). On my next trip, I plan to try the Patagonia Lightweight Travel Duffel, which holds a bit less than either the Osprey or Campmor, but it also weighs a whole lot less, just 8.5 oz. (Other dimensions: 35 L (2136 cu in) 19" x 10" x 9"). It isn't a convertible. Instead the handles for the bag are long and can be used as backpack straps. I bought two small seatbelt comfort covers to keep the straps from digging into my shoulders. To me, if I have to pack an extra bag on the chance I might have to put my backpack inside that bag, then I'm going in the wrong direction for trying to travel light.

Posted by
31 posts

If you have to check it, I highly recommend gate checking. One trip we took on a nonstop flight, our checked bag ended up in Hawaii, which was not the direction we were going. It was 4 days into our trip before we got that bag. Another time our daughter's checked bag arrived with the TSA tag on it, indicating they'd done an inspection, and it was very obvious because SOMEONE ELSE'S DIRTY CLOTHES were mixed in, and some of her clothes and ONE SHOE of a pair were missing. Of course those missing items were never recovered for us, and the airline claimed no responsibility since it was TSA who opened the bag. We now have no faith in checking bags. None. So if you have a bag that requires checking, insist on going through security with it and checking it at the gate.
The 13 pound weight limit on Icelandair is really horrible. I may do like my dad once did in his travels, and board the plane wearing several layers of clothes!

Posted by
19092 posts

I just checked the Campmor website and the Essential Carryon is no longer sold. Can't find it anywhere else. Figures. Good old American free enterprise. The best product is no longer available.