Please sign in to post.

Backpack

I'm planning to travel in a backpack with a metal frame. Will that be a problem beyond the shape? On plane, train or hotels? Just found this site and chat. LOVE IT!
Thanks

Posted by
32220 posts

John, I'm not entirely clear on your question? Are you planning to travel with a Backpack having an external or an internal metal frame? Is this a Backpack that you presently own, or one you're planning to buy? If you're using an external frame model, it's not generally a problem to travel with although they're not as well suited for "travel" uses. Depending on the size, the metal frame might make it more difficult to fit overhead racks on trains. If you could provide some further information, it would help. Cheers!

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the reply. I already have the backpack and was planning to take on my trip to Germany if it won't present as a problem through security and customs checks. It is a med. size hiking pack with an external aluminum tube/pipe frame that supports the shape. It has a number of small zippered pockets that would be handy for packing personal items. I've thought about wheels and may check more into the roller-pack Rick has on the site (or others).

Posted by
32220 posts

John, It's certainly your choice, but an external frame Pack is a bit of a "cumbersome" solution for international travel. If it has a large metal frame, there may be a problem running it through X-Ray machines. If it has numerous pockets, those will be hard to secure in Hostels. You'll also have to ensure that you secure the straps in some way during air travel, so they aren't torn-off by airport conveyor systems. I always travel with an internal frame, panel-loading Pack and it hasn't been a problem so far, although in some airports I have to go to the "non-standard luggage" window to check it. The "Wheelie Packs" are also not an ideal method, as the wheel mechanism both adds weight as well as reduces the capacity for gear. In my observations, the majority of travellers seem to travel with "wheelie bags" that don't have a Backpack component. Which option to choose will depend on a number of factors - whether you can afford to buy a new bag, how much capacity you need, whether you prefer to go with a Backpack vs. a Wheelie Bag, etc. If you decide to buy another Backpack, there are a number of things to consider. If you need further information, post another note. Cheers!

Posted by
2528 posts

John: Depending on the rules for the airline(s) involved and the size of your your pack, it may not be allowed as carry-on luggage if that is important. We travel very light and use packs that qualify as carry-ons so no bags are checked, no baggage fees, no worries as to whether bags made connecting flights, and no waiting at baggage carousels at the destination city.

Posted by
82 posts

I think that the backpack may be a bit cumbersome for airline/train/taxi/bus travel. It was designed for use in the great outdoors and may not be condusive to city travel. Just as a wheelie bag or other type of suitcase is not designed to be used for backcountry camping. I think you may be happier using a bag that was designed for the intended purpose of city to city travel. My sister used an internal frame for a couple of trips to Europe--it worked okay, but she switched to a Rick Steves bag and it worked much better. As the saying goes, use the right tool for the right job!

Posted by
19113 posts

I just read on the Campmor website that they are again offering the Essential Carry-on bag. I've put considerable effort and thought into carry-on bags, and I think this is the best available. No wheels or frame but at 1-3/4#, you don't need those weight-adding things. I'd like something a little smaller, but ...

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello John. For my trips to Europe, my primary bag is the (Outdoor Products) Essential Carry-On Bag, mentioned by Lee. It can be carried as a backpack : it has padded straps for that. The backpack straps are tucked into a wide pocket at the back of the pack for carrying the pack into an airplane. Using two packing cubes (medium size - 3 and 1/2 inches thick) for my underwear and socks, everything I need can be put in that bag.

Posted by
32912 posts

When I was 19, back when instead of typing on Tabs you chipped into stone tablets (some had the really posh Wood tablets to scratch on), I took a large external frame backpack to Europe for 3 months. I could fit everything I needed into, onto, and strapped onto that bag. My sleeping bag rolled up and strapped on, and my back up pair of hiking books tied on by laces. It had a great waist band so the weight was well distributed and the top opened very wide so putting stuff in and taking it out was a piece of cake. All I had was my stuff to wear (nobody wanted that - I only washed it out now and again; now didn't come very often and again even less frequently) a little money and my passport. Nothing remotely electronic. I just put it down when I took it off, no locks more complicated than a bow or square knot in the drawstrings. Never lost anything. I had no problems with it at hostels or in 1960's trains. Several places (Paris and Vienna jump to mind as particular losses) I couldn't fit it in the lockers at the stations because it was too long and the frame immobile. That was a bummer. I'm pretty sure it always went over my head on trains and sometimes between seat backs. After it got back from Europe that summer it never went back, sitting in my garage after I got married and eventually got thrown out about 20 years ago. The fabric finally rotted away. You may find that more modern luggage will work better these days particularly if you have proper valuables or modern scribing devices.