Please sign in to post.

B&B s

What is the average cost of a B&B for 1 person in Europe?

Posted by
19237 posts

Define B&B. A great many places in Europe offer breakfast (either included or, rarely, at extra cost) with your room. I guess that makes them Bed & Breakfast. However, there are a lot of accommodations which are essentially rooms in a private home, called Privatzimmer in Germany. They kind of coincide with B&Bs in this country except that they are far less pricey. In the last 52 nights in Germany, I have stayed in small, mostly family run places. For a single room with breakfast, I've averaged €40,66/nt for those 52 nights. Half of those nights have been true Privatzimmer; I've averaged €24/nt in those. I would recommend any of those places. Although inexpensive, they were all nice. And they were in Germany and Austria; that might make a difference. A word of caution. I found virtually all of these places on town websites. Only a few were listed on booking websites. Booking websites charge too high a commission to attract many economically priced places.

Posted by
32322 posts

Dirk, Since most Hotels and Hostels usually provide breakfast, I'm assuming those would also fit the "B&B" category. It's difficult to provide a "universal answer" to your question, as the costs vary depending on country and other factors. It would help if you could provide more specific information on which countries you're planning to visit. Cheers!

Posted by
32322 posts

Dirk, It would help to know which cities you're planning to visit? I may never have stayed in a city you want to visit, so would have no idea on what the room costs are in that locale. Also, what "type" of accommodations would you typically use - more "high end" or more basic? I tend to stay in basic B&B Hotels, usually those listed in the RS Guidebooks. Are you able to have a look at any of the Guidebooks in your local Library or bookstores? Cheers!

Posted by
550 posts

Dirk, that's like asking the average cost of a single hotel room in the US. There is no meaningful answer to the question. Prices vary tremendously based on location, quality of the b&b, and time of year. If you are planning a trip, I'd suggest using TripAdvisor to look up b&b's in the towns you plan to visit to get a rough estimate of the costs. Then, look at individual town tourist websites to find other b&b's. Look for their individual websites to get costs.

Posted by
23548 posts

Think about it ! There is no answer. Too many variables - big city vs country side, time of year, country, etc. etc. Like someone else said, what the average cost in the US. Even if you had that number it would be meaningless.

Posted by
6 posts

Hey Ken ,Anita and Frank Just give me some examples of where you were .What kind of hotels or private zimmers and what did it cost you.

Posted by
9145 posts

Dirk you are asking a question about B&B's without specifying which city or country. Prices vary widely from city to city and from country to country. It would be like us asking that from you about the price of a B&B in N. America. You wouldn't have a clue. Should you tell us the price for Everson, or L.A. or NY, or Oklahoma city? Why not go on to a website like www.hrs.com or Trip Advisor and look up the prices for the cities you want to visit. This will give you a fairly accurate price. Or, simply google B&B for the towns you want to visit.

Posted by
6 posts

Lets see In Germany Wittenberg.erfurt Fulda Nurnenburg Passua, Munich Bavaria In Austria Halle Salzbrug.Vienna Innsbruck Switzerland ?
I want private B&B and small Hotels

Posted by
19237 posts

Not quite sure what you mean by Bavaria in that list. Bavaria is a state of about 27,000 sq mi, not a town, and Nuernberg (note spelling), Passau (note spelling), and Munich are all towns in Bavaria. As for places, I spent €34/night in Fuerth, right outside Nuernberg. Pension Central is a little unusual. It's apparently an apartment building owned by a single extended family (all mailboxes have the same Bosnian last name). But the room was nice, clean, had an attached bath, plenty of hot water for my morning shower, and the young man who runs the place fixed a nice breakfast. Instead of Passau, I stayed in Vilshofen, just up the Danube from Passau. The train into Passau in the morning cost €3,80. My room was €38 with a private bath and breakfast. Pension Sagerer (www.pension-sagerer.de) caters to bicyclist riding the bike path along the Danube (the manager was surprised when I arrived on foot, not on a bike). Two years ago, I was going into Salzburg, but I stayed across the river in Freilassing, Germany, at Hotel Rupertus for €35. Like many small places in Germany, Rupertus is a restaurant with some rooms to rent. Despite not looking like your typical resort hotel, my room was clean and nice with a private bath, and the owner was friendly and helpful and served an abundant breakfast. It's less than a km walk to the Bahnhof for an 8-12 min trip to the Salzburg Hbf and there's a bus the next street over that goes right to the Altstadt in about 20 min. I would classify all of the places above as small, family owned places, but none was what I would describe as a true B&B, that is a Privatzimmer.

Posted by
19237 posts

Halle is in Germany, I think you mean Hall, which is in Austria, just outside Innsbruck. Here I stayed in a true Privatzimmer. Haus Tollinger, I believe, used to be listed by Rick, but I don't see it anymore. Accommodations in Hall are tightly controlled by the Tourist Office - no URLs or email on the website. I first wrote to them to inquire about Haus Tollinger - price and availability, not for a reservations. They responded, but after that, when I asked about availability at another place, they would not respond. Apparently they had assigned me to Tollinger. I was somewhat annoyed with them because the website said the room had a private bath, but when I got there, I found it was a bath on the hall, shared with a double room on the same floor. However, the double room was unoccupied both nights, so I had a rather large, private bath, just on the hall. My hostess was not the most friendly. I only saw here when she served breakfast and when she collected my money (€20/night).