Please sign in to post.

Austria/Italy - Vienna, Salzburg, Venice, Florence

Planning a trip with my family either to Austria and Italy, or Austria and Switzerland. My family are huge mountain lovers, so the Alps are a must. I want some scenery, but also a big city/culture/architecture person.

For about a two week trip, how feasible would this be? I realize it might be a lot, but it may be my family's last Europe trip so want to hit some good spots.

We'd be flying into Vienna and out of Milan.
My rough thought so far flying :
-Fly into Vienna
-3 nights in Vienna (maybe a day trip to Melks Abbey)
-Train to Salzburg
-3 nights in Salzburg (with day trip to Hallstatt)
-1 night in Innsbruck with half day to Neuschwanstein castle (this is an iffy right now, but would like to see it).
-Innsbruck to Venice train or flight
-1 night in Venice
-Train to Florence
-2-3 nights in Florence
-Train to Milan/Lake Como
-1 night in that area to see Lake Como
-Fly out of Milan

We could skip Innsbruck if it's easier to go from Salzburg to Northern Italy. I could also save Venice for a day trip out of Milan or Florence at the end of the trip and go straight to Florence from Austria.

My only other idea was to do Vienna, Salzburg to Lurcerne/Murren Switzerland, then train down to Lake/Como/Milan.
That would leave out Venice and Florence in favor of Switzerland. Not sure those are worth giving up for the additional expensive of Switzerland if we're getting our mountain fix in Austria.

Any suggestions on this trip? I'm partial to Austria and Italy for two very different settings, but Austria/Switzerland is an option too. That just seems more expensive.

Posted by
11361 posts

Have you considered the Dolomites, easy trip from Venice. They are breathtaking too.

Posted by
5053 posts

Some may disagree, but I think your plan is too aggressive, unless you only want to tick places off some "to do list.

You haven't accounted for travel times on your one night stays. They effectively become half day visits, which isn't nearly enough time to see or do much of anything in Venice or Lake Como. Better IMO to stop in fewer places for more nights and see all there is to see, than to just barely skim the surface in more places.

Personally, I'd scrap the Innsbruck portion altogether and possibly steal a day from your Florence stay (stay 2 nights) to add a day each to Venice and Lake Como (staying in Varenna, perhaps).

And yes, Switzerland would be more expensive.

Posted by
38 posts

Ages are 34 and 2 in their 60s.

CJean: Yeah I kinda figured. Innsbruck was pretty much intended just to be like a quick excursion to Neuschwanstein and as a transport point to Italy. Wasn't intending to spend much time there. I thought it might be an easier place to get to Italy from than Salzburg.

Maybe a misguided view, but I've heard you can do Venice in a day, 2 at the most. I'll have to research things we might want to do. It was intended to be more of a see the city and canals, walk around, visit St. Marks Square, take a gondola taxi, head out type of trip as opposed to devoting lots of time exploring. Venice was going to be a very touristy stop. Aside from Rome (which we're not doing this trip since we don't have time), Florence is the city I want to see the most.

Suki: Don't know anything about the Dolomites. I see it's not too far south from Innsbruck. Is that a place you stop off at for a bit, or something you need to devote a fair amount of time at?

Posted by
16744 posts

Neuschwannstein Castle is not a daytrip from Innsbruck. It is a journey of nearly four hours each way. And very crowded once you get there.

Posted by
20352 posts

So that is a total of 3 adults?

Re Neuschwanstein, it is so-so. It is hard for me to say whether or not to make this detour, as I have been there, and it was worth a stop, but not a detour. But then I've been there and you have not and can't make that claim one way or the other. It is your vacation, and if it is on your bucket list, go. You might look at renting a car in Salzburg, going to Neuschwanstein and returning the car in Innsbruck. This can be problematic, as many car rental places are agencies that need the car returned to them. Theoretically, you can drop a car off in another location in the same country it was rented it, but it will take some research on your part.

If mountain scenery is a priority, then as Suki suggested, the Dolomites are spectacular beyond imagination. You could also rent a car at Bolzano station and return it there. Take at least a couple of days there to increase your chances of seeing them in good weather. Selva di Gardena is my favorite, right at the base of the wall of the Sella Massif, but Ortisei is a close second. You could get there on a bus from Bolzano station, but a car would a bit more convenient with a group of 3.

Venice, as well deserves at least 2 nights. There is a 3:30 pm direct train from Bolzano to Venice, or later trains with a connection in Verona. That would give you one full day to see Venice. Its touristy because there is no where else in the world like it.

You could take a morning train to Florence, they are at least every hour and it is just a little over 2 hours to get there. 3 nights would be good, but 2 nights would give you 2 full days if you took a late afternoon train to Milan. Again, trains at least hourly and often every half hour, it is a 2 hour train ride. From Milan it is a one hour train ride to Varenna, more or less hourly trains. It will be difficult to get from Varenna to Milan Malpensa for a flight back to North America on the same day. There is a 5:30 am train that will get you there to make most flights, but it is risky. Better to spend the last night in Milan.

Posted by
7410 posts

I’m a bit confused; you mentioned that people like to hike and be in the mountains, but your itinerary days are mostly non-hiking. My first recommendation is to drop all of the day-trips because your number of nights in locations doesn’t support those extra transportation hours. If you’re left with towns that aren’t as interesting to you, that’s a sign to figure out a different plan. I’ve been to the mountains in Switzerland, Austria and Italy. For a 2-week trip, if Florence is a must-do, I would head to the Dolomites. You might want to fly into Venice, stay at least two days, then head up into the Dolomites for some amazing hikes. Then south to Florence and the lakes. We stayed 3 nights at Moena and have also stayed near Ortesei.

Posted by
38 posts

I didn't mention hiking, I just said my family loves mountain scenery. We might try to do one or two hikes, but not spending days trekking through the mountains.

I'll have to check more into the Dolomites.

Posted by
85 posts

The day trip to Hallstatt, might be tough. Buy the time you get there from Salzburg and catch the boat back and forth and return to Salzburg you would spend most of the day traveling. You could leave out of Vienna, spend a night in Hallstatt, visit there the next day and continue on to Salzburg on the evening train. Neuschwanstein is doable IF you have advanced tickets with a scheduled time, otherwise the lines for tickets may take you hours. Also pay the extra 2 euros for reserved tickets on the train or go 1st class. The Vienna/Salzburg train is often very crowded, with no open seats and if you do not have a reservation you may be standing the whole way.

Posted by
11455 posts

Maybe a misguided view, but I've heard you can do Venice in a day, 2 at the most.

Venice is "touristy" if you want it to be. To me, it is a charming and unique city filled with art and magic. We have traveled there 9 or 10 times now, with our shortest stay 4 nights and we often have stayed 6 or 7 (except for an impetuous trip there for dinner one night when we live in Rome, but that is another story). If you cannot devote at least 3 nights to Venice, don't bother going there. You'll come away saying it was crowded and Disney-like with bad food. (It is none of these things if you know what you are doing.)

Fly into Vienna - 3 nights - no time for side trips as Vienna has enough to offer for several days

Train to Salzburg - 3 nights is good, IMO, but probably no time for side trips

Train to Bolzano, IT then transfer to Ortisei in the Val Gardena. If you like mountains, this is the place. BUT it depends on time of year. Not great in April-May-early June, nor mid-October to mid-Dec. Spend AT LEAST 3 nights. 4 are better. Trust me.

A train to Lake Como is a long trip from Bolzano, over 5 hours. But you can stay there (Varenna is great for a short stay) a couple nights and fly out of Milan without having to stay in Milan. Do stay at least 2 nights if you have to travel 5+ hours to get there.

Posted by
11455 posts

Forgot to say, PM me if you want info on staying in the Val Gardena.

Posted by
12172 posts

Thoughts:
1. When are you going? Some times of year tend to be cloudy in the mountains. Having visited Berchtesgaden on an overcast day, I can say it's much less appealing when you can't see the stunning scenery. I'd consider the daily weather report before making any day trips for hikes/scenery.

1. Too short for Vienna unless you have already looked at all the sights and decided two full days (including a trip to Melk Abbey) is enough. There is never enough time but Vienna is one of those five night (or more) places for me, because there is a lot to see.

2. Three nights in Salzburg is about right if you include a day trip to Hallstatt (check the weather forecast before going). Without Hallstatt, you could probably stay two nights and have one very busy, but walkable, day. I'd probably plan a stop at Melk Abbey as an intermediate stop from Vienna rather than a day trip.

3. I consider Neuschwanstein an iconic place, but it will only be a half day if you arrive before opening (or reserve early). When we went we stayed nearby and got there well before opening and got early tickets for both castles. When we left the ticket line (in mid October) looked like something at Disneyland. I really wouldn't plan to drive there from somewhere else and get in and out in a half day.

4. Innsbruck is nothing special. I can only see it as a base for a ski vacation. Verona is worth a stop.

5. Have you been to Venice before? It's magic. I think one night may be too much of a rush to really enjoy it.

6. Florence has a lot to see. 2 to 3 nights will probably only be enough to see a couple of highlights.

7. One night to see Lake Como while planning to fly out of Milan the next day is too rushed. You're probably better skipping it and finding a hotel in Milan that is convenient to the airport.

8. Don't forget travel times, it tends to eat up much of the available time. When not planned for, it can make the trip arduous.

Posted by
38 posts

I'll be going in mid-to late May this year I think.

I think we're going to skip Neuschwanstein Castle this trip. Doesn't seem to be worth wasting a whole day and the crowds/short inside tour sound disappointing. Maybe I'll try that another time if I take a trip focused on Germany.

We can skip Melk Abbey or maybe make it a stop through on the way to Salzburg instead of a day-trip from Vienna.

Is Salzburg and Hallstatt enough to get the Alps experience? Are there any places in Austria comparable to the Berner Oberland region in Switzerland?

The train trip from Salzburg to Italy sounds tricky. Need to decide whether to go to Bolzano and see the Dolomites or just continue on to Venice or Florence. I'm guessing that's a pretty scenic train ride?

Posted by
16894 posts

The train connection from Salzburg to Venice is not difficult. There are a few departures per day that get you there with just one connection at either Innsbruck or Villach, depending on departure time; total travel time 6-7 hours. (Additional options connect at both Innsbruck and Verona.)

Trains heading south from Innsbruck all stop in Bolzano, so you also have several departure options per day to reach Bolzano with just the one change in Innsbruck; 4.5 hours. From Bolzano to Venice on another day, the majority of trains connect in Verona.

Looking Up Train Schedules and Routes Online gives you the Deutsche Bahn train schedule link and tips for using it.

Posted by
7175 posts

Avoid long days with connecting trains ...

Start in Vienna (3N)
2hr 22min by train to Salzburg (2N)
1hr 48min by train to Innsbruck (1N/2N)
4hr 46min by train (scenic Brenner route) to Venice (2N/3N)
2hr 05min by train to Florence (3N)

Posted by
38 posts

Does it make more sense to take the train from Salzburg to Innsbruck and then to Venice, or just go from Salzburg straight to Venice without going to Innsbruck?

Posted by
38 posts

I guess the other train option would be through Switzerland. Salzburg to Zurich and then south to Milan where we can take a transfer to Varenna and stay at Lake Como before connecting to Venice.

Not sure which is easier/faster/more scenic.

Salzburg/Innsbruck>Venice>Milan/Como

or

Salzburg/Innsbruck>Zurich>Milan/Como>Venice.

Posted by
20352 posts

If you check the time tables (www.bahn.com) you'll see Salzburg-Innsbruck-Milan-Como is faster, and probably cheaper. Use the intermediate stop function to specify the route. Varenna is a preferred stop on Lake Como. Como S. Giovanni from Zurich is fast, but uses the new Gotthard Base tunnel, 30 miles completely under the Alps. Not very scenic.

Posted by
401 posts

Vienna and Venice are two of my favourite locations. I love Salzburg but tend to favour staying in the Salzkammergut ( the area around it) to really get the Alpine experience. At the moment you are likely to get stuck on the Valley floors and missing out. So rather than stay in Salzburg look at close options where you can still travel in easily enough to see the sites but get a chance to see Austria at its best. Two recommendations head east to a lake Fushel or south west to Bad Durenburg which is a village in the hills above Hallein and the location of the Salt mines. These mines have a great tour which is only spoilt by the fact that because it is wildly popular the tours quickly get booked up resulting in waits so take advantage if being in situ and get there as soon as it opens.

Give yourself 3 nights minimum in Venice. It's busy but the crowds tend to congregate in the same location (St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge). Whilst these are definitely must see, look to see them early morning or later in the evening. Most of the tourists are on day trips or cruises so it's much quieter at those times. You really only have to walk a few streets away from the crowds to start loosing yourself in the magic of it. Take a water taxi over to St Giorgio and climb the bell tower for a great view back across to St Marks, I'd also recommend a boat tour to some of the neighbouring islands - Murano for Glass , Burano for Lace and pretty houses and Torchello for the graveyard!