Please sign in to post.

Austria + Italy May 2013

My Husband and I are travelling to Austria and Italy from 3rd May 2013 to 21st May 2013. I have been checking the weather forecasts which are sowing thunderstorms and Rain almost the entire time we are there. This is really making me apprehensive about the trip. Does may really get rainy? Will it be difficult for us to Roam around the cities and visit the tourist spots.
I am really scared since almost everything is booked.

Posted by
15768 posts

Get a couple of good rain ponchos and go for it. There are lots of indoor sights and, especially in Italy, it usually doesn't rain all the time, even if there's some rain every day. Any time in Europe can be rainy and/or cold. I had grey skies and intermittant rain for two weeks in July in London, Belgium and Holland. I still had a great time.

Posted by
13 posts

Thanks Chani.. Do these cities get water logged by any chance

Posted by
32322 posts

saguna, Which cities in Austria and Italy are you planning to visit? While there may be some rain during your visit, it's not likely to rain continually for the entire 18 days. As the others have said, bring along a good Umbrella or some Rain Ponchos. As Rick frequently says, there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. If you're in larger cities, there will be lots of Museums and Galleries to tour, which will keep you out of the weather. Regarding your statement "I am really scared since almost everything is booked", May is spring shoulder season so it will likely be somewhat busy in Europe. Which websites are you using to find hotels? You should be able to find something, but you may have to increase your budget and take what you can get, as May is not far off. Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
3696 posts

@Ken... I think she meant she has most of her reservations booked in case
she wanted to cancel. Saguna... for me, any day in Europe is better than a day at home... I have traveled there many times in May and had beautiful weather, so there are no guarantees. I have also traveled there in the winter and expected cold and rainy and was happy when I had good weather, but it is still all fun... just a state of mind.

Posted by
23548 posts

This is one of the thing should not be checking. Long range forecast can be very inaccurate this far out. It does rain more in the spring and therefore you should be prepared for some wet weather. April and May tend to be rainy months. At least more so than Sep and Oct. What are you scared of? The weather, itself, is not threatening. You may have to alter your plans some but you should be able to adjust. You will be fine. Worry about important things that you can control. The weather will happen regardless of what we do.

Posted by
13 posts

@ Ken Thanks a ton.. makes me feel better.. i was thinking that the rains will not let me experience the acatual city life ..like sitting on roadside cafes n all.
but ur right I jus have to be prepared. Also, Terry is right I meant that I have already made most of my reservations and dont want to cancel last minute.

Posted by
13 posts

@ Terry kathryn Thanks a lot.. u make me feel good about my trip.. I was starting to get really worried. @Frank
I love to walk around the cities and experience the life on the streets. Just was scared that will miss out on all that. But all you guys make me feel better n its true as Ken says wont rain the entire time :) So what do u mean by the things I can control like the hotels and tickets etc. right.

Posted by
13 posts

Also, if anyone can suggest a good wine tour in Chianti.. We will be in Tuscany for 2-3 days.

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Saguna. I was at Austria, the second week in the month May. There was a rain shower one afternoon in one day, at Melk (by the Danube River). All the other days in Austria there was beautiful blue sky and sunlight.