Please sign in to post.

Austria, Germany, Switzerland - week before Christmas

Hello. The wife and I are planning a trip the week before Christmas. Flying in and out of Munich. Will have a car. We would like to visit Salzburg, and Liechtenstein and allow adequate time for Munich before our return flight. We will have six full days. Is six days enough considering I will have transportation? How much time do I need in each city? Any ideas on travel time between locations? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by
2906 posts

Hi KC,

I'll be blunt, skip Liechtenstein unless you absolutely need to visit a relative there. Not worth your limited time at all. The Christmas Markets make the towns even more attractive during this time of year. Lights, decorated trees, singing, stalls selling goods and food and hot drinks. The holiday atmosphere is absolutely magical. We took two 8 night trips (with a rental car flying into/out of Munich) in early Dec. 2010 and 2013 to visit during the markets. We based in the Berchtesgaden area for 4 nights and the Innsbruck are for 4 nights on both trips. Did day trips from these bases. While I love Salzburg (been 5 times), I have to say I'd pick Innsbruck (been 6 times) at this time of year. Not only did I like the markets there better, but being surrounded by high, snow capped peaks just put it over the top in my opinion.

My advice, pick 2, maybe 3 at most, locations to stay. Again, I wouldn't go to Liechtenstein.

If interested, we have pic's at:

www.flickr.com/photos/pjbassplyr/sets

Paul

Posted by
5 posts

Hello Paul. Thank you for your insight. I want to see as much as possible without watering down the best places to visit. I'm beginning to narrow down to a circumference of Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck. Just now a matter of deciding how long an in which places to stay.

Thanks for the link to your pictures. They were great and provided a glimpse of what to expect.

So you're a bass player? I am a keyboard player, although I don't seem to have the time to keep my chops up these days.

Thanks again.

Posted by
2906 posts

Hi KC,

You'd be surprised how many people don't make the connection with pjbassplyr! Try not to change locations too much as it really uses up a lot of precious time. At least Munich, Salzburg and Innsbruck are within 2 hours of one another. It gets dark by 4:30pm, but that also makes the towns and markets "come alive" earlier. Bring wool socks. We used a waterproof spray (Kiwi) on our shoes and wool socks. We didn't on our first winter trip and for us, our feet got cold before anything else.

Don't know where you're located, but Lufthansa has a 3:20pm non stop flight from Munich to Newark, NJ. Maybe you could use this to connect to wherever you need to wind up. It's nice having that last day of flying home not be rushed and not needing to stay at or near the airport.

Paul

Posted by
7175 posts

"Is six days enough considering I will have transportation?"
I think having transport may be a hindrance rather than a help in alpine regions with ice and snow at Christmas.

Munich to Innsbruck (1nt) is 1hr 45min by train.
Innsbruck to Salzburg (2nts) is 1hr 49min by train.
Salzburg to Munich (3nts) is 1hr 41min by train.

Sorry to say that Liechtenstein has nothing worthy of consideration to attract the traveller.