Please sign in to post.

Australia

This is not a Europe question but would like to know if anyone out there has travelled to australia and would like to know if their rail system to get you from a to b as good as the system in Europe.
Any tips you can give me thanking you in advance

Posted by
8293 posts

No, it's not as good as in Europe but we went by rail from Sydney to Canberra, then to Melbourne, then to Adelaide and that worked well for us. Australia is huge. Where do you want to go? And by the way, maybe you should post this in the "Beyond Europe" section.

Posted by
4085 posts

Also check out long-distance buses and budget airline fares. Distances are huge in Australia, partially because most of the major cities are strung along the seacoast circumference of the country.

Posted by
12 posts

We have a rail system but it is nothing like Europe and it depends on where you will be going. There is a train line along the East coast but distances are huge. Canberra to Sydney train takes about 5 hours but you can drive it in 3 hours and the bus is cheaper. Sydney to Melbourne or up to Brisbane both around 600 miles I think can be done overnight. The train across Australia takes 2 or 3 days and is very expensive so it's better to fly. It also depend on your budget.. Because Australia is a vast country, if you are travelling long distances it is better to fly but we don't have many airlines so plane travel isn't cheap. If you plan your trip in advance (3-4 months) you should be able to get cheaper flights. There are lots of cheap backpacker travel centres in Sydney just outside Central Station and a YHA hostel across the road. They would be a good starting point.

Posted by
38 posts

Thanking you so much for your replys in regards to
Australia that does help you were asking about where we would like to see the great barrier reef and some of the sights like Canberra , Sydney, mostly along the coast. I didn't realize there was a place for questions and answers beyond europe thank you.

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I spent a month in Australia, 6 years ago. We planned it on our own. We went to Sydney, Melbourne, Hamilton Island (stayed on the Great Barrier Reef), Port Douglas, Cairns, etc. We flew to all those places. When we were in Sydney and Melbourne, we took Gray Line Day tours, which we recommend. This past October, we took TAUCK Tours to both Australia and New Zealand, for a 20 day trip. It was outstanding.