Please sign in to post.

Are Visa gift cards/cash cards good in Europe?

My 12 year old is going on a tour with a group to Europe. I have sent her some cash and my ATM card (the ATM card is from a local bank, but it does have a Visa logo on it), but someone also said that I could send her with a prepaid Visa card (she's too young to have a real credit card.) Are those accepted in Europe. Help! She leaves next month.

Posted by
108 posts

Glenda, You might consider going to Triple A and getting her a prepaid card. I used one on 2 trips abroad with no problem. It can be used at ATMs, as well as for purchases. I used it because I didn't want to use a card that was connected to my bank account, in case it was stolen,etc. You would be able to add more money if necessary. Triple A can explain. She will need to keep up with her balance, which can be done online. The fees may be a little more than with a bank card, but not worrying about the possiblity of your checking account being emptied if it should fall into the wrong hands, etc. is worth it to me. Hope this helps. Ashley

Posted by
1883 posts

My story about a VISA prepaid card (gift card).
Used it in Milan for internet...charge was about $5US. I had a $100 gift card. When I used it....the credit card put a hold on $75 worth of the card for on month, and I was unable to use the card again until the 4 weeks had passed. I was to say the least p-----d off.
I thought it was like cash, but come to find out, they don't view it that way in Europe.

For some reason, they think they have to hold the "cash" until they can "verify" the amount on the card.

With my one experience, I'd say a big NO to a prepaid card!