Please sign in to post.

Are Visa gift cards/cash cards good in Europe?

My 12 year old is going on a tour with a group to Europe. I have sent her some cash and my ATM card (the ATM card is from a local bank, but it does have a Visa logo on the back), but someone also said that I could send her with a prepaid Visa card (she's too young to have a real credit card.) Are those accepted in Europe. Help! She leaves next week.

Posted by
23269 posts

I am sure that she is referring to the preload VISA card that is issued by different sources. The AAA preloaded card is fairly common. These cards will work but I think they are all bad deals giving the special problems that come with these cards.

Glenda, the VISA logo is not important. Make sure your ATM card uses either or both the Plus and Cirrus networks. If it says STAR, it will not work in Europe.

Posted by
56 posts

The only way to know for sure if a prepaid Visa card will work in Europe is to call the bank or company who issues the card. Some "gift cards" have their value in Dollars and cannot be used for other currency.

Posted by
31 posts

Some cards are good in europe and some are not. I think that the gift cards that are say "universal" or something similar to that. It will say right on the card. Ask the merchant at the store for help. You will have to read the card to be sure.

I had 2 of them last year for Germany and had some trouble with them but then figured out how they work. We had to have the hotel, in our case, slide the card and then type in the exact amount that you wanted taken off of the card.

For example, The bill was $40 but the gift card has $100 on it. Just swiping the card did not work. They had to swipe it and then type in $40. If they just swiped the card and waited for it to process without typing in $40 it would deny it after about 60 seconds. In the US a gift card can just be swiped and it automatically knows how much to deduct. Without typing in this amount ours was denied. I hope this helps but that was my experience. Once I learned how to process it, they worked fine.

Posted by
31 posts

P.S. Dont forget to track your receipts so you know what is on the card. The receipt that you get from the merchant did not tell us what was left on the card. So if you make multiple purchases it can be easy to lose track and tough to use down to the last penny.

Posted by
416 posts

Glenda,

Why not open an account with a visa debit card and deposit the amount you have budgeted for her into that account? That effectively controls her spending and you don't have to worry about whether or not it will be accepted. I had NO trouble using my debit cards as credit cards anywhere in Germany, Switzerland, France or Italy in March.

Posted by
23269 posts

The prepaid Visa card is very expensive to obtain cash in Europe. You will pay a premium of about 10% or more. Just use a standard debit card.

Posted by
193 posts

Maybe this won't help but I know that Am Ex gift cards bought in the US are only good in the US.

Posted by
51 posts

I opened an account for my son at Wells Fargo, I put in spending money and they issued him a debit card. I am also on the account, so if there had been any problems, I was authorized to talk to the bank. I let them know what dates and where he was traveling and he never had any problems. He still has the card and can use it when he puts money into his account. He has to keep track of the balance.