Please sign in to post.

Are Visa gift cards/cash cards good in Europe?

My 12 year old is going on a tour with a group to Europe. I have sent her some cash and my ATM card (the ATM card us from a local bank, but it does have a Visa logo on it), but someone also said that I could send her with a prepaid Visa card (she's too young to have a real credit card.) Are those accepted in Europe. Help! She leaves next month.

Posted by
208 posts

Glenda, don't fret. You can go to AAA to get a pre-paid Visa Travel Card. The 21st century Traveler's Cheque. Since you do have some time, you might shop around for a good rate.

Posted by
9363 posts

You might check with local banks and credit unions. Around here, they also offer the Visa Prepaid Travel Cards and might have better fees than AAA, which are reported to be relatively astronomical.

Posted by
19099 posts

A couple of years ago, the exchange rate for these cards was posted online under the conditions, so you would know what it was. At the time, it was 7%! They have since removed that information from the site. Wonder why? Must be too many people were finding out the bad news.

I think you should ask them to show you that rate, in writing, well in advance of committing to the card.