Please sign in to post.

April-May 2016 holidays?

Setting up plans for next spring travels. "Different guidebooks show the following holidays:
April 25. (MON) Liberation Day
May 1. (SUN) May Day
May 5. (THUR) Ascension Day
May 8. (SUN) VE Day
May 15. (SUN) Pentecost
May 16. (MON) Whit Monday
May 25. (WED) Corpus Christi

Not sure which of these would impact travel (plane, train, bus) and touring. We plan to be in France, Italy, Budapest, Vienna, Prague and Berlin. Any input on these or other holidays ??

Posted by
1239 posts

In Germany, Ascension Day is treated like a Sunday. I was just there. Stores were closed, but restaurants and beer gardens were open!

Liberation Day, from what I remember, occurred while I was in Amsterdam. It was a day of celebrating and partying.

Posted by
3635 posts

Liberation Day is an Italian holiday. The Italians, with their inimitable talent for enjoying life, often combine it with May 1 and the days between to have a longish break from work. Watch out for crowded conditions if you intend to be in resort areas. Personally, I would avoid them during this period. If that's not posssible, be sure you have reservations.
VE Day marks the victory of the Allied Forces (U.S., France, U.K.) over the Nazis. Probably not much celebrating in Germany, Austria, or Hungary.
May Day (Labor Day) is observed all over Europe, but with differing intensity from one country to another. We were in Nice a couple of years ago on May 1. No public transportation ran. No museum was open. Many restaurants were closed. This year, we were in Vienna on May 1. Public transportation ran on a holiday schedule; museums were open.