Please sign in to post.

Germany/Switzerland Itinerary Help

Here is my Sept, 2024 Itinerary for Germany and Switzerland.
9/3 - Arrive Frankfurt. Train to Bacharach
9/4 - Bacharach
9/5 - Train to Cochem
9/6 - Cochem
9/7 - Train to Rothenburg ob der Tauber
9/8 - Rothenburg ob der Tauber
9/9 - Train to Esslingen
9/10 - Train to Gengenbach
9/11 - Train to Staufen
9/12 - Staufen
9/13 - Train to Urnasch, Switzerland
9/14 - Urnasch
9/15 - Urnasch
9/16 - Urnasch
9/17 - Train to Interlaken
9/18 - Travel to Murren
9/19 - Murren
9/20 -Train to Luzern
9/21 - Luzern
9/22 -Train to Winterthur
9/23 -Train to Zurich ZRH

Germany: In the past I have gotten some type of pass for my train travel in Germany, but I don't really think it is worth it. Should I just buy point to point tickets? I was going to try the 49 Euro D-Ticket subscription, but when I look at the DB website I think perhaps it would be too time consuming to be restricted to the local and regional trains. And I know that when I get to Esslingen I can take advantage of the KONUS card for the next couple of days and I think to the Basel BB in Switzerland.

Switzerland: My purpose in going to Urnasch is to stay with a friend. I will make a few daytrips from there to Appenzell, Lake Constance and ???. Also just relax after about 12 days of travel. Then on to Interlaken and Murren. I have always stayed in Gimmelwald on previous trips, but now that Hotel Mittaghorn is not open (at least not this summer) and Esther's Guesthouse is ridiculously expensive for the what accomodations are, I decided on just staying in Murren. That's where I would need to eat my dinners anyway as there are not many choices in Gimmelwald. So my Swiss travel is Basel to Urnasch, then to Interlaken, Murren, Luzern, Winterthur and ZRH. I never know what kind of Swiss Pass I need, if any. The Half Price Pass, ??? Or should I just buy point to point tickets?

Also, I know some of you will say I am traveling to too many places, and should just slow down and concentrate on a few. I find that I get bored after a couple of days and want to move on and see something new. I also enjoy the train travel so for me it's not a day wasted. I'm not into most museums and find I just enjoy the little villages as the attraction. And Esslingen and Gengenbach are to break up the trip from Rothenburg to Staufen. I have been there a few times before and really enjoy that small village and some of the hikes from there.

So, please give me any help and advice. I have gotten so much helpful input. Thanks so much.

Posted by
7287 posts

Joy, I don’t have any itinerary advice to give you, but I would recommend changing the title of your question into something like “Germany/Switzerland Itinerary” that people will respond. That’s probably the main reason no one is answering.

Posted by
20090 posts

You only have 1 trip where an IC or ICE train would benefit you, Cochem to Rothenburg o.d.T. Even then, the ICE segment only saves you about 1 1/2 hours. I would get the 49 EUR Deutschland Ticket, and if you want, buy the ICE segment separately.

Posted by
865 posts

If you are only going to be in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for a couple of days, buying point-to-point makes the most sense. You would have to travel constantly over those few days to make a B-O Pass logical.

Given your other Swiss destinations, look into regular point-to-point fares and compare against a Half Price card. It could be more economical as point-to-point in other areas of Switzerland can become pricey.

Have a great journey!

Posted by
515 posts

Places like Bacharach and Rothenburg AT take a number of train changes and time. So check actual train travel time.

Near NE Switzerland, there is Schauffhausen, St Galen’s, Rheinfalks. Apprnzal was disappointing but the nearby mountain cable car trip id wonderful.