Please sign in to post.

Another itinerary question

Planning an early November trip to Europe for 15 nights.
Tentative plan is:
Fly to Vienna for 3 nights
Take the train to Prague
3 nights Prague
Fly to Paris
4 nights Paris
Fly to Florence
2 nights Florence
Fast train to Rome
3 nights Rome
Fly home
I spent 5 nights in Paris last year and saw a lot, but really enjoyed the city. That's why it gets a night more than the rest. Plus, might do a daytrip to Champagne or Burgandy.
I suspect Florence deserves more time, but I'm thinking a short stay is better than none. Or I could do 5 nights in Rome and do a long daytrip to Florence.
Anyone want to weigh in?

Posted by
11641 posts

My first thought is that this is a very expensive trip with a lot of movement in 2 weeks. Have you been to Rome before? I'd probably stay 5 nights in Rome, skip Firenze or day trip is if you run out of things to do in Rome.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your thoughts, Laurel. I have never been to Rome- very excited to have the chance to experience a small piece of it. Yes, fairly expensive trip, however some of the financial bite will be mitigated by using frequent flier miles for the U.S. to Wien and Rome to US legs. I suspect whether I spend a couple of nights in Florence or daytrip it, that I'll want to spend more time there. My friend that spent several days there said a daytrip is far too little time. Choices and trade offs.......

Posted by
5288 posts

I agree with Laurel-- too many places and not enough time at any given location.

Keep in mind that each time you relocate, you will lose about half of that day.

Also remember that spending 2 nights means 1 full day for sightseeing, 3 nights= 2 full days, 4 nights= 3 full days and so on...

If you love Paris & have never been to Italy, I'd plan on visiting Paris(4N), Venice(3N) , Florence(3-4N), Rome (4-5N).

While in Florence, you could take day trip to Lucca & Pisa or Siena. While in Rome, you may want to take day trip to Orvieto.

So you'd fly into Paris> fly to Venice> train to Florence> train to Rome> fly home from Rome.

Posted by
809 posts

Just remember that you lose roughly half a day each time you move: check out of your hotel, get to the airport an hour or so early, fly, get to your new hotel & check in... Plus the time you then spend sorting yourself out in the new location: where's the nearest bus or metro stop, etc. I understand it's hard to skip any of those great cities, but I think it may be a more enjoyable trip if you do. Someone more familiar with Italy can weigh in on the possibility of a daytrip from Rome to Florence; that would cut down on your transfers so in general it seems like a good idea.

The other thing I notice is that these are all good-sized cities; I see you're considering a daytrip out of Paris, which would be a good break. Do you want to substitute a smaller city for one of your current destinations?

So many choices and decisions. Good luck and happy planning!

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks, Priscilla and Kathleen.
The "more Italian centric itinerary " sounds nice --- but Prague is non- negotiable and Vienna being fairly close [and having good air connections] fits with Prague. But I tend to agree that there may be a bit much relocating. But in my scheme of priorities, that means that Florence gets cut---what an ouch moment.

Posted by
5458 posts

I'd cut Paris or Vienna (head straight to Prague, or just fly there from Vienna since you'll already be at the airport).

Posted by
4 posts

Interesting point of view coming from someone from Vienna, Emily.
Care to elaborate?

Posted by
5458 posts

November is cold and rainy here; as a tourist, I prefer the other cities on your list - in my opinion they are more beautiful and have more that interests me.

Posted by
10344 posts

Yes, what Emily says: winter in Northern Europe--some travelers find it's not so pleasant for strolling the shops and seeing the sights in the rain and cold, if they have a choice of going when the weather is better for outdoor things.

Posted by
4 posts

I would not skip seeing the alps as you would be so close to them. You could possibly cut Prague for a stay in Innsbruck or Zurich (or any other place in the Alps. But Prague would be a tough city to cut. Maybe a day trip to Florence could free uo time for a stay in the Alps. I just feel that the Alps are too beautiful to miss out on when you are right there

Posted by
11613 posts

bqualls, if you can handle the pace, go for it. Personally I would cut down the time in Paris, since you've been there before. I agree that 2 nights in Florence is better than no nights. I would say the same thing about Rome: 3 nights is better than fewer nights. Florence is really lovely at night, so if you decide on a long daytrip, try to stay in Florence through dinner time. Try not to schedule a daytrip to Florence on a Monday or Tuesday - about half the museums are closed on one day or the other. Since November is off-season, some places may close in the afternoon on certain days; a short stay in Florence is like a 1000-piece jigsaw puzzle..

I hope you have considered the shorter hours for sights, slightly less daylight than summer, and perhaps some weather that will necessitate your concentrating on indoor activities.

Posted by
16895 posts

More time would be nice in any of these cities, but your initial, listed plan is feasible. The fact that you have a couple of flights in the mix is smart. People enjoy these brief visits all the time, as long as they are motivated and energetic. With a day and a half in Florence, you can see several highlights; ideally you would reserve ahead for visits to the Uffizzi and Accademia museums. With two full days in Vienna, you can again see several highlights, but certainly won't see everything. Cutting one city altogether is the only way to make the time more relaxed. Plan that you will return.

Posted by
4637 posts

Your itinerary is doable but little hectic. As more people said cutting one city would make it more enjoyable. Unfortunately they are all very attractive. But if I have to cut one it would be Florence. I would not cut Vienna because you will be already there. Then it's only 4 hours by train to Prague. Prague is not negotiable as you said so you cannot cut it. And we are left with Paris, Florence, Rome. Out of these three I would postpone Florence for the next time. You got some suggestion for the Alps. I see two reasons against this idea. First: unfortunately your time in Europe is not inflatable (what a pity, Alps are really beautiful). Second: in November you would run into high probability that despite being in the Alps you would not see them because of fog, low clouds, rain, snow etc.