Please sign in to post.

Another ATM Question

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows which is more common;
I have 2 bank cards, but I would only like to take 1 with me. One works with the common "Cirrus" network of banks, and the other one works with the "Plus" network. These are the symbols on the back of the card that let you know which banks accept which cards. We will be travelling to the UK, France and Italy. I have chip and pin in both, but for convenience of use, I am unsure of which network is the most common in these countries. I called both banks, and all I get from them is "most of Europe "should" work." Thank you.

Posted by
9363 posts

It would be smarter to take both in case one has a problem. I always carry two, from different financial institutions.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tania is one from TD bank? The TD has an account that allows for free foreign withdrawals..
I have used a Royal Bank and a TD bank card in many countries in Europe and never had a problem with either of them if that's any help.

Posted by
208 posts

Hi, thanks for the replies. One card is the Royal Bank. They charge $5.00 per transaction, and the other is ING, which is the card I would like to bring. It is my daily driver and easier to do money transfers with than the Royal card. Also their fee is only $2.00. I don't want to nickel and dime, but........!! Having saved up so much for this trip, and the overall budget, I would rather a coffee in a cafe or glass of wine, than giving the CEO's of Royal bank another nickel!! LOL We will have 2 cards anyway, my husband has his as well.

Posted by
23177 posts

Both are equally available. Nearly all ATMs take both. Only a couple of times have I seen only VISA ATM. But take both. One as a back up in the event that something goes wrong with one of the cards. Test both the first day or so.

Posted by
11507 posts

Tania as I said I have taken and used the Royal card and had no problems with it being accepted at any machine I used it on. And 5 dollars versus 2 dollars makes it a no brainer, but I would take both myself just to be sure.
Also have bank raise your daily withdrawal limit otherwise you may have to make a lot of transactions.

Posted by
4406 posts

Absolutely bring both. Prefer one, but bring (and carry) both.

Posted by
1265 posts

Tania - I am with the others, take both cards. You never know when you may have issues with or lose one card. Also, I would also call both banks and let them know when you are going to be in Europe.

Posted by
591 posts

Bring both and keep the one you don't use in your money belt. A related tip: the German train tickets I bought in advance at home stated that you would need to show the card used to purchase them, and indeed the conductor asked to see it. Have a great trip!

Posted by
9 posts

Yes, definitely call both banks to let them know, as i have had the situation where a bank stops allowing transactions because they think someone has stolen my card. Not fun to deal with when you are overseas!

Posted by
4020 posts

I take two ATM cards from different institutions (one from Royal) and I never carry both in the same place. Ditto credit cards. But I do not use any plastic like I might if I were in Halton's hills, because of the service fees. Instead, I retreat to the old days and pay cash for smaller transactions. That means withdrawing a substantial amount of cash so the fee is spread over a larger cost base. Security risk? There's a risk to any kind of financial instrument.

Posted by
12172 posts

They are both huge syndicates. You won't have trouble finding machines to take either one - and most will take both. I'd take the one that offers the better foreign transaction fee. If you are traveling well off the beaten path (e.g. a town with only 600 residents in Albania), there may be a limited number of ATMs available. In that case, it's worth doing some homework to make sure your card will work there. If you are going where most people go, it will seem like every machine works.