Please sign in to post.

Anniversary Trip

Where are you favorite places/trips you have taken? We're thinking of taking 3 weeks next May 2020. We've been to Europe before but not all over. Husband is looking at southern France, southern & western England, Northern Scotland. He likes medieval and war type stuff. I'm looking at Budapest, Prague, Switzerland. But I also like Croatia and Slovenia and that area. Morrocco would be very cool to me but not him. I've also wanted to go to Koln Germany and that area. My daughter says go to Brugge, Belgium and the Netherlands. So many choices. I love taking photos. Husband just likes walking around town, museums, enjoying a coffee or dinner and looking around. I"m more the one who likes to go go go. Hope that helps for ideas.

Posted by
847 posts

I've been to all the places you list and enjoyed them all and not sure I could pick. But even if I could, it might not be what you'd like. I also enjoy taking photographs. Here's the link to where I post my photos. Perhaps skimming through them might help you decide where you'd like to go. https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/

Posted by
3551 posts

Southern France is wonderful but reserve lodging way ahead for sure. Then finish with the Normandy
Coast. Amazing ww2 sights to see and visit. U both will have lots to see and do. Win win for both.

Posted by
861 posts

You don't mention much about your interests, but for a different "war type stuff" series of venues for you and your husband you can do WW I (not much considered by many Americans after noting the Centenary of the November 11, 1918 Armistice) by starting in Venice and go to Slovenia to look at the Isonzo Front between Austria-Hungary and Italy. This area is also known as Caporetto, and is the location where Hemingway served as an ambulance driver near Kobarid. Include a trip east up to the Triglev National Park in Slovenia... on a road built by Russian POWs. Then go west up into the Dolomites (Mt Lagazuoi area west of Cortina d' Ampezzo for the "White War" element [heavy fighting in blizzards and avalanches].... Finish the Dolomites in Bolzano and visit Otzi the 5,000 year old Ice man... still on ice at the archeological museum.

From Bolzano head for Lugano Switzerland for two days rest. Then take the Panorama Express train over the Gotthard Pass to the Lake of Lucerne and connect with the Lake Lucerne Steamer that will take you up the Lake to Lucerne itself.

Maybe side trip to the Bernese Oberland for two days in Lauterbrunnen.

From Lucerne head north to France through Strasbourg and look at the castles and Verdun, Somme, Chateau-Thierry battlefields, and end in Belgium at Flanders fields in Ypres....Finish in Brugge. Fly home from Brussels.

The "war stuff" is different. The food in all of those areas is great. The wine is great. The cafe's are great. The hiking and mountain walks are great. The photographic opportunities are spectacular. The scenery is brilliant (and explains why they were such bad places to have a war), the folks are great. Not everyone's cup of tea. I did almost all of them in 2018....

Posted by
132 posts

I forgot to add that my husband will not drive so it's trains, planes and busses or i guess a boat.

Posted by
15582 posts

I can think of a dozen countries, some with several areas that fit your preferences.

Let's start by determining your travel pace. Do you want to move every couple of nights or 4-6 night stays or a combination. You seem to be looking for countries that you haven't been to but we don't know which ones they are. Which ones did YOU like and why. What didn't you like.

My favorites without a car would be Italy and Spain.

Posted by
676 posts

My absolute favorite place we’ve been to is France. And I can’t wait to go back. BUT...I’ve enjoyed everywhere we’ve visited in Europe. I always just go wherever “calls” the most and try to find a good deal on a flight. I’m jonesing for Greece, Turkey, Prague/Budapest and the Dordogne area in France for our next trips. Hopefully we will get to them all in good time! :)

Posted by
12172 posts

For me decent weather is a good reason to choose a destination. I've had surprising luck in May in the UK and Ireland. For whatever reason that's the driest month in the British Isles. I visited Burgundy in May and it was too cold, I'd want to wait until at least June to visit. I went to Languedoc area of SW France in June and it was nice, not sure if it would be good in May but I think it might be a good choice. Provence worries me. In the spring they can get some very heavy winds that can last for days and make a vacation memorable for the wrong reasons. I'd go to Provence in October. It's too hot all summer. May might be a great time for northern Italy. I went to Venice, Florence and Tuscay in late October and it was really nice. Rome was good in early November but it gets hot through the summer. I spent a month in Spain in April, it was unseasonably cold. Another poster here went right after me in May and said it was scorching hot.