Please sign in to post.

Angeltours for Vatican charging €50 per Adult question - May 2009

9:30 am Vatican Tour price (this prices include admission fee) €50 per Adult

Wondering why it cost so much and if it is worth it. As in by spending the $ you do not have to wait in marathon line or is it the same when you prepay the entrance fee. Think not as to do so would only cost €18. Would very much appreciate input from others who have been there more recently.

Posted by
23267 posts

I thought they did a nice job. I don't remember the price.

Posted by
374 posts

Joanne, They explain it on their website, that on the morning tour they are not allowed to cancel and must pay for no shows. That is why I just booked the afternoon tour with them which costs less. I also have heard that afternoons at the Vatican are not as crowded. Joann

Posted by
163 posts

Joanne,
We just got back from Italy last week and did a 2 hour tour of the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel. We booked the tour directly through the Vatican website, with their own tour guides. The cost was 30E per person, and this included admission and was all purchased and paid for online before we left. we got to enter through the group line, and it went fast. The tour was very good, I thought. We chose it because I, too, thought all of the other tour companies were too high priced. We were very satisfied. Just a thought......

Posted by
6 posts

I took an afternoon tour with Angel Tours three years ago and they did a great job. I believe the cost was 20 Euro, but I tipped the guide another 10. Also, there was a separate charge to enter the Vatican Museum, but I don't remember how much.

My understanding is that Vatican tour companies have changed the way they operate. Three years ago, Angel Tours wasn't "licensed" to give tours of the Vatican. I gather that the Vatican cracked down on tour operators and now requires them to be licensed. That could be one reason their charges have gone up. If the 50 Euro fee includes the admission fee, then it's probably worth it.

Posted by
23 posts

Grazie to all for their input. Decided to go with the Vatican Tours as their price was good at 30 Euros inc entrance.

Posted by
411 posts

We we're on the Vatican's own tour this past Tuesday. Our guide was fantastic-- and my degree is in Painting and Renaissance Art History so I'm a tough critic. Our guide, who had a PhD, was fun and articulate and made the tour interesting to all levels.