Please sign in to post.

Alps in late October

Hello everyone, my fiance and I will be flying into Zurich for our honeymoon on October 21st this year. We want to spend our time exploring the Alps. Mainly interested in hiking, scenic train rides, general sightseeing but open to pretty much anything. After reading through this forum and a few other sources, I understand that some of the activities and accomodations are shut down this time of year and that weather can be unpredictable. Would it be unwise to show up without having booked anything for lodging, transportation or activities? That way we could be as flexible as possible with closures and weather. Please let me know what you think or if you have any recommendations we are very flexible. As of right now we are planning to spending time in the Berner Oberland, Engadin area, Salzburg and the Dolomites. Thanks in advance for any input it is very much appreciated!

Posted by
2949 posts

First, congratulations!

We’ve been to the Berner Oberland (stayed in Wengen), Salzburg area including Berchtesgaden area, and the Dolomites in mid to late October into very early November a couple of times. We prefer to visit the Alps in October. Less crowds all around, enough open, and we e experienced pretty good weather. Cold mornings and nights and chilly to warm days. Arriving the 21st is pretty late though.

Where are you flying home from?
How many nights is the entire trip? You're looking to cover a LOT of ground, so need to know how many nights.

In the Dolomites (Val Gardena), the last lifts will close November 3rd. These are the last to close as most close earlier in October.

I wouldn’t go at this time of year without having places to stay reserved. In our experiences many Pensions, Gasthofs and even hotels close for November in the Alpine areas.

Salzburg and the area is great to visit anytime of year.

If I knew where you depart from, how many nights the trip is, it Wallis be a lot easier to help.

Paul

Posted by
2 posts

We will be flying home from Zurich. We arrive in Zurich on October 21st and fly home on November 3rd. 13 nights total.

Is that too much ground to cover in that amount of time? As I do more research I am leaning towards cutting out the Salzburg area. Right now I would like to start our stay in the Berner Oberland as it seems that Winter hits there first. After that we would like to spend a day or two in the Valais area, then locarno for a couple days and then St. Moritz and finally ending up in the Ortisei area.

I would really like to stay flexible along the way so that we could work around the weather so to speak. I'm wondering if we can stay at lower elevations with fairer weather and then day trip into higher elevations as the weather allows.

I appreciate your response, there is a lot to know and I have never been to Europe. Any input is greatly appreciated, and we are very open minded and flexible.

Posted by
1123 posts

dyltre44,
Congratulations! I hope your honeymoon in the Alps is wonderful! One caveat..... the days of playing it by ear with lodging in Europe are pretty much a thing of the past. Alas, I feel you will need to nail down your hotels, etc. soon if you want something within a certain price range, ambience, etc. Back in the 70s hubby and I spent 4 months in Europe and didn't reserve a single place ahead of time, over 8 countries. Granted, we were following Frommer's "Europe on $5 and $10 A Day". We sometimes lucked out with a fabulous find, and sometimes had to sleep in our VW Beetle, or had a terrible bed. En suite rooms were the rarity. That sort of room is more rare nowadays. And it was 50 hears ago!
It would be a good idea to set your plans quickly, in order to get lodgings that will be what you want. Bonne chance!

Posted by
294 posts

We were in the Engadin in the third week of October in 2022. In St. Moritz, a large number of restaurants, shops and hotels were closed already to prepare for the winter rush. The only reason our hotel was open was to host a large 300+ person medical conference. The weather was fine but there was not much to do after the hikes.

Ortisei may be a slightly more reliable for hiking as the Seceda lift usually runs until the end of October, depending on weather. However, Ortisei is even more quiet than St. Moritz. I loved the Hotel Gardena Grodnerhof BTW.

Honestly, being that late, I would consider bigger cities that have easy day train access to hiking areas. Salzburg, Munich and Milan come to mind. At least you can adjust your days activities on the fly rather than being stuck in a hotel room on a cold wet day.

Posted by
1303 posts

I like the Alps in October, it's one of the places where the leaves have colors. But the weather can change in hours, not days. If you google you should be able to find the live feed from the Alps cameras at a number of the resorts and ski areas. That should give you some idea as to the weather.

While I like being flexible, and I'm good with staying in small pensions with share baths, you need to be aware that unless there's a ski season locally, many places start closing for the winter in October.

Posted by
2949 posts

Hi again,
How are you getting around? Car? Trains, buses?

For lodging you need to make reservations asap. I wouldn’t wing it at this time of year.

I’d suggest cutting Salzburg with 13 nights as it’s out of the way to get there and back.

Starting in Berner Oberland makes sense. It’s stunning!!! Anything less than 4 nights, 3 full days, would be criminal :)

My opinion of St. Moritz itself is that its nothing special and wouldn’t bother staying there again.

If you end up in Ortisei, how many nights stays will it take you to get back to Zurich for your flight home? It’s a long journey to get to Ortisei and back to Zurich.

These are the lifts open until 11/3/2024 in Val Gardena
Ortisei-Furnes
Furies-Seceda
Col Raiser
Alpe di Siusi

https://www.valgardena.it/en/summer-holidays-dolomites/lifts/

We stayed here:
www.garniariston.com

My honest opinion would be, as it’s your honeymoon, your first trip to Europe, make it a Swiss trip. Take your time to enjoy the places you’re staying instead of being on the go. Daylight is short at this time of year, so there not as many hours to be out sightseeing, doing things outdoors.

Include:

Appenzell and area.
Berner Oberland
Lucerne
Zermatt

IF you wanted to add another country, heading to Innsbruck and the area is a suggestion. I will say I’m partial, as the Innsbruck-Hall in Tirol area is a favorite of mine. Stayed on 5 trips, so far. You could stay a night or two, then rent a car in Innsbruck and be in Ortisei in about 2 hours. Or simply stay in the area.

Paul

Posted by
1303 posts

Just to note they are predicting snow in the Alps this coming weekend 13-15 SEP 2024. This is early, and may indicated a early, heavy, winter this year.

Posted by
4747 posts

I may have had a rare experience: I was in Murren in late October 2022 and I was wearing short sleeves (it was the warmest October on record). Things were closing down but it was quiet and perfect--far preferable to high season to me.
I wanted to echo the others' advice to stick to Switzerland (or only include convenient spots if you venture outside of the country).
I am too particular to travel without accommodations, but I do get wanting to maximize good weather. I think this is possible if you do a lot of research now and have your alternate plans all sorted so you can pull the trigger when you get the ten-day forecast just before departing.
Start with BO because it is IT. Then I'd look at Vaud as the weather typically stays nicer there longer (according to what a bartender told me--and indeed it was sparkling weather and so much to do nearby). I'd end with Lucerne. If you are returning to Zurich for departure, I think that is a good loop rather than trying to travel too far.
congrats!