Please sign in to post.

Albania

Our family can't wait to return to Europe post-covid! I feel like a part of our lives was totally put on hold forever. Our summer trips to Europe started when the kids were 5, 7 and 10. This year we'll be visiting when the kids are 15, 17 and 20. Time flies way too fast. Anyway, we've decided to visit Montenegro and Albania with our two last days in Corfu to fly out. I've been our tour guide for 10 years now and while we've used private guides often, I've loved guiding the kids myself whenever possible using Rick's self guided walks.... but I can't find any for Albania!! Has anyone created self guided walks for Apollonia, Zvernec Island, Berat, Himare, Butrint Archeological Park or Gjirokaster that they'd like to share? Or know of where I can find one? We're open to booking walking tours but its not the same being guided than doing it yourself. I'd also love recommendations for restaurants, places to stay, etc. Thank you!!

Posted by
17632 posts

I was in Albania about a year ago. Good choice. Montenegro is one of my favorite places so also a good choice.

Getting around Albania, and to be honest, Montenegro is challenging when compared to Western Europe.

You might contact this individual and discuss the trip and see if she can assist you while making it as unguided as possible.

Dijana Krkotic
Executive director
Doclea Travel
Address: Bulevar Sv. Petra
Cetinjskog br. 79
81 000 Podgorica
Phone: +382 20 675 197
Mob: +382 69 277 749
E-mail:dijana@docleatravel.com
www.docleatravel.com

Posted by
163 posts

Thank you! I'll reach out to her for sure.

Posted by
3961 posts

Hi Joanne- How nice to see your posting. Welcome back! Glad to hear you are looking forward to traveling to Europe again! Always grateful for your guide recommendations when we were in Budapest, CK and Prague 2019. Looking forward to reading your trip reports on your Blog. All the best to your family. Happy travels!

Posted by
163 posts

Hi Janis!! It's so good to be back! The blog has really fallen to the wayside in the past few years but I can't wait to start working on it again.

Posted by
54 posts

We stayed at a lovely, clean and welcoming hotel in Albania called Antigonia. It's in Tirana.
If you can get to the southern part of Albania Saranda is delightful - like an Albanian riviera of sorts.

Posted by
490 posts

We were in Albania a few weeks ago - stayed at Berat and Tirana. Berat is very small - pick a central hotel and you will find it hard to get lost. We tried walking to the top of the hill for the castle - but it was very steep. The taxis refuse to take you for anything less than a complete rip off price. Unfortunately, there is no uber in Albania.

In Tirana don't skip the Bunkart under ground bunkers- its billed as a modern art museum - but its much more a fascinating history museum of the years when Albania was as closed as North Korea- incredible. Easy to get to - you take a local bus to the end of the ine from the main square. Its probably not good if you are claustrophobic.

We got a bus direct to Kotor - we were running out of time to make a ship in Croatia - I wish we'd spent more time in Albania - its delightfully untouristy compared to Montenegro and particularly the Croatian coast.

Posted by
163 posts

Thank you!

Jeanne, at this point we don't actually plan to visit Triana. We'll be heading from Montenegro along the coast of Albania to Corfu. We defiitely plan to spend a bit of time in Sarande but I've opted to stay in Himare... not as convenient a location but I've heard its more low key.

Good to know about the castle in Berat. I thought we may take one of the free tours. Did you do one or just explore on your own?

I keep messing with our itinerary. There are a lot of one night stops which I usually hate but I can't seem to find a better way. I'm also trying to limit driving times to less than 5hrs if possible. We're clearly trying to fit too much in in a short time but now that the kids are older (late teens) it should be easier.

Do you think staying overnight in Berat is a good idea? The thought is to come from southern Montenegro and stop in Berat so its only a few hours drive, explor for the day and leave first thing in the morning to go to Himare for three nights via Appollonia and Vlore (Zvernec actually).