Please sign in to post.

Airport transfers?

I am a first time (solo) traveller to Europe in September and am considering getting airport transfers to and from the bigger airports such as Heathrow to avoid carting luggage and more importantly getting completely lost ! Would it be better to book transfers through the Airport website itself or go through an 'independent' company?

Thanks in advance
Fiona

Posted by
1166 posts

First, you should not be "carting luggage". The travelers on this forum may travel for 2 months carrying a backpack or 21" rolling bag. So make sure that you pack light for your adventure !

Email your B&B and ask them the best way to get to their lodging. You should be able to take a taxi by giving the driver the lodging address.

Posted by
23342 posts

Also Heathrow is well served by a variety of public transit as is most airports. Second there are always taxi - and - depending on the airport - the taxi fee is often fixed. I think it will vary by airport.

Posted by
8961 posts

Take a taxi. They are plentiful at the airport so there is no need to book an extra service to meet you. Walk out of the airport and get in a taxi. Easy to do.

Posted by
2517 posts

Your question is too vague - different airports and different destinations have different options.

Jumping into a taxi at Heathrow could cost you a fortune compared to the Tube.

Posted by
15243 posts

I'm going to agree with Ramblin On......let us know which airports you are considering. Some are easy taxi rides into town and others can be very, very expensive.

Some have convenient public transit and other's don't.

And, if you tell us which airports, others here can suggest companies.

How much luggage are you bringing?

Posted by
14580 posts

"...more importantly getting completely lost!" First of all, that's impossible. That applies to Heathrow too.

Posted by
6113 posts

Most airports have great bus/train options into the city centres, so they are geared up for travellers with plenty of luggage. Where are you visiting?

If I were you, I would ignore the advice about travelling light, which seems to be the RS advice - who wants to spend half your holiday worrying about how to wash your laundry? Nearly all bags these days have wheels so "carting them about" isn't an issue.