Please sign in to post.

airfare

I need an open jaw flight from cleveland ohio to amsterdam and paris to cleveland ohio.
The first day I looked I found a price that was $1200 (for 2) cheaper then I've found in the last two weeks.
Naturally, I didn't trust the first price I saw and now I can't commit to paying the extra $1200 without feeling horrible.
I'm certain it was the exact same flight arrangement. My son says the the computer reads your input and changes you prices. Prices aren't the same for everybody at the same time. He told me to try using another computer to start over. I leave in early August. Should I give it another month of daily checkings?

Posted by
1266 posts

Sue - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you should have bought the tickets when they were $1200. Looking at kayak.com the cheapest fares i'm seeing are $1695 for a Aug 1st departure to AMS and returning Aug 15 from CDG. There is also the philosphy of buying you tickets 6-8 weeks out. I've never been a fan of that philosphy. I'd say keep checking prices and when you see a price that you find reasonable, buy your tickets.

Posted by
23548 posts

When was the first time you looked at the prices? There is a bit of an urban story that says the first time you look at a fare it will be the cheapest because the fare site will remember you computer and jack up the fare the next time you log in. There is absolutely no true to that. And prices are the same for everybody at the same time. Sometimes limited seats are available at a certain price so if you come back ten minutes later, those seats could be sold. You can try another computer but it will be the same. Why didn't you trust the first price? Or did you think it would get cheaper?

Airline prices change nearly hourly and certainly day to day. My experience is that tickets are the cheapest the earliest you can buy - 6 months or more. It is possible to see a little dip within the month or so in advance if the airline computer decides that sales are a little sluggish but don't count on it. By that time all the good seats are gone so you will be stuffed into the middle seat.

You can keep checking but doubt if you see your original price. Little like buying stock. Hard to buy at the bottom.

Posted by
16895 posts

I would not expect prices to go down now for summer travel, which is certainly high season. Choose the best rate you can find, but don't wait too long.