Please sign in to post.

AirBNB question

Hello All,
My husband and I are traveling with our 18 month old to Rome this summer. I am seeing that we can save quite a bit of money if we rent an apartment. This option is appealing since we will have our daughter with us, but I am a little concerned that the accommodations won't be as described. (Also relying on them to provide a pack and play for the baby) Have any of you had good or bad experiences with AIRBNB?

Please share!

Posted by
1806 posts

I'd only go with the listings that are verified by Airbnb directly and that have a lot of positive reviews and an owner that has high response rates within a short time frame. Make sure you are crystal clear about what floor the place is on and if there is an elevator (e.g., you don't want to have a 5th Floor walk-up apartment if you are lugging a baby and a stroller and suitcases) and if there are any other things besides the pack and play that might be a deal breaker (e.g., no washer/dryer, no A/C unit). Don't put a lot of stock in the "Super Host" rating. Seriously, my brother rents a couple of his homes on Airbnb and he barely had rented one more than a couple times and he was suddenly granted "Super Host" status.

If using Airbnb or VRBO makes you nervous, you could always spend some more money and look for an Apart'hotel, like Citadines. It's professionally managed and combines the space and modern amenities of an apartment with professional, on-site 24/7 management, cleaning and maintenance (just like a hotel).

And if you want cheap, but still prefer professionally managed properties, then consider booking a family room in a hostel. While the room may be smaller than an apartment, you have access to the hostel's common areas (kitchen, laundry facilities, lounge areas) and there is someone at the front desk to help you out when you need it. You could probably arrange ahead of time with the hostel to see if they can help you secure a pack and play or a crib/playpen your daughter can sleep in.

Posted by
153 posts

how do you know if they are verified by AirBNB?

Posted by
650 posts

Not Airbnb, Homeaway.com. Our experience in 20 or so apartments, mostly in Europe but a few in the U.S. has been stellar to rather rustic. We've had two less than nice apartments out of two in Paris. Neither wasn't as advertised, just noisy, not as well stocked, and with less helpful hosts.

We choose only apartments with good recent reviews which Homeaway will guarantee.

I suspect Airbnb apartments would be similar as many apartments list both places.

Posted by
3398 posts

I've stayed in many Airbnb rentals as well as VRBO. For each I make sure 3 things are in place...
1) Lots of very clear, verified photos.
2) It needs to have PLENTY of positive reviews - this is the most important thing, I think.
3) When I initially contact the host the communication needs to occur in a timely manner on their part and continue in this way.
I've had nothing but positive experiences renting "whole places" as well as private rooms in people's homes. I've met nothing but lovely people.
Make sure that everything is clear up front and that you understand the terms. Read the listing carefully and make sure it's what you want.
Nothing is guaranteed though! I've heard of a number of bad experiences but it was usually due to a lack of communication between the two parties or someone not paying attention to one of the things I listed above. Most property owners want good reviews and strive to give their guests good experiences. In my experience doing this over the last 10 years or so, I've found that properties run by management companies are often the best maintained and equipped - I recently rented a place in Copenhagen for a week and again found this to be the case. It was listed in VRBO and managed by a company in Copenhagen.

Posted by
1625 posts

I have had GREAT experiences with both AirBNB and VRBO. It is up to you to really LOOK at the pictures, notice any concerns you may have with a child like balconies, steps inside the apartment, loft that you have to climb to sleep in etc. What might look like a great apartment for a couple might totally not work for a baby. The description should have if they can provide the pack-n-play. All the properties we have stayed in are exactly as described and shown in the pictures. It is really important to read a good chunk of the reviews, and there should be plenty (I like having over 50) and use google translate if you need to and read reviews of people who have stayed with a toddler. You can also ask the host for the actual address so you can google earth and take a look around. If you find a place within your price range Book ASAP, the good ones go fast!

Posted by
451 posts

We have used Airbnb, Homeaway, VBRO several times and when we request a pack an play or high chair it is nice and clean.

Posted by
2466 posts

You never know what to expect, or whom to believe - with any of these websites.

If you want a professional experience - such as a new or disinfected pack 'n play or other necessities - I would recommend using Citadines.
Plus, you'll have the benefit of an English-speaking front desk staff 24/7, if you need anything.

Posted by
6113 posts

Do plenty of research on Airbnb, bookings.com, Trip Advisir and Homeaway. Often, the same place is on several websites and they tend to use the same description on all. The price will differ significantly.

Airbnb seems to have increased the nightly rates plus their service fee is extortionate for what you get, so I have stopped using them. Plus you have to pay the whole fee when booking, which could mean that they sit on your cash for months. There have been many complaints about their grievances procedure.

A recent holiday I have taken was advertised on Airbnb and Homeaway and the same apartment would have cost €350 more if I had booked it through Airbnb.

I have had good experiences with Trip Advisor plus you get the email of the people you are dealing with, rather than Airbnb vetting any queries. Plus the final balance is only paid 2 weeks before travel.

I have used Homeaway over 20 times and never had a bad property. Airbnbs have generally been OK, but one could have been cleaner.

Pick places with plenty of recent reviews and make sure there is an external photo of the property. Check out the location on Streetview.

Posted by
11613 posts

Note that many apartments are not child-proofed.

Posted by
2768 posts

I have rented apartments and aparthotels on Airbnb and booking.com and never had trouble. To me the key is plenty of reviews and a full description. Think of the things that are deal-breakers (no bathtub? No ac? High floor, no elevator?) and confirm several times.

I prefer booking.com, it has hotels as well as houses, apartment hotels, and apartments so you need to limit your search but I just feel it's more official. Probably not true but that's my sense.

As for the pack n play - id research where to buy one locally in case that part falls through.

Posted by
3941 posts

I've done about 20 or so airbnb's since 2011 and have had mostly good luck (I think the only real dud was in Maine). I've even given some newer listings a go - especially with the newer listings, the communication time with the owner is a biggie. I mean, you may have to take into account time differences in response time (if you are on the west coast sending a message at 10pm to Rome, don't expect to hear back in an hour). The bulk of our stays have been in private rooms as opposed to whole apartments.

Generally I'll just send a message saying 'I'm so and so, travelling with ..., and ask a question if I need to clarify something' or just tell them I'm getting in touch to say hi and introduce myself (it's a holdover from my couchsurfing days). There are a lot of listings that you can just automatically book (as opposed to the owner having to OK you) but I still always contact the owner first.

And I'd say what all the others have said about photos and reviews and checking amenities and looking at the map to get an idea of location and proximity to public transport...good advice all around.

Posted by
19436 posts

You are not renting from AirBnb and you are not renting from Homeaway; you are renting from either random individuals or from management companies that represent random individuals. There is nothing wrong with this, but you should understand the relationship. Most (many?) apartments will be listed with multiple agencies. Each agency (Homeaway or AirBnb, etc.) has its own set of rules and safeguards and you can factor those into your equation.

To increase the odds of a positive experience pick a place with a high number of excellent ratings. A place with only 5 reviews, all very positive, in my mind isn’t as sure a bet as a place with 100 very positive reviews and 7 not so positive reviews. So go for quantity.

Sometimes it’s hard to discern, but if you can find a place that is professionally managed, that’s a better bet in my mind as well. I think you are better off with a business man than you would be with a guy renting out dead aunt Louise’ apartment for beer money. Renting directly from the management company might save you a few dollars and might get you better service as they can afford to do so without having to pay the listing company fees; but you get fewer safeguards in return.

Most apartments will have a name or there will be some unique text in their description. Take that name or that unique text and Google it to find more listings and reviews and maybe the management company.

Finally, it’s always about location and amenities. Don’t believe the “close to” statements. Find it on a map. If its summer you probably want an A/C (much better a permanently installed one as the little portables don’t do a lot of good). What floor is it on? Remember in Europe the first floor is called GROUND, so the 1st floor is really one flight up. Is there an elevator?

And I guess, most important; is it legal. Some cities have cracked down on short term rentals - but not many. It’s an easy thing to find out, just Google. Oh, and you get what you pay for, never more and often less. If its too good to be true .......... it is.