Please sign in to post.

Aegean Airlines

Does anyone have experience flying Aegean Airlines? The reviews I have read are not good but the prices and schedules are the best for flying from Amman Jordan. We are looking to either go to Istanbul and then Barcelona. Or skip Istanbul and just go to Barcelona from Jordan.

Any Insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
7673 posts

I have only flown them within Greece, and to be honest some time ago, but never had an issue at that time. They are a budget airline, so people looking to go cheap grouse about luggage limits, having to pay a penalty for overweight luggage, and the overall bare bones approach to flying.

Posted by
6579 posts

Aegean is the Greek flag carrier and a member of Star Alliance, so not what I would call a budget airline.

Posted by
15581 posts

I flew them three times in April. All three flights left on time. Service was good. Airport operations were efficient.

For my two Athens departures, we were bussed out to the plane. This caused a lot of confusion and crowding getting onto the plane and settled. But manageable.

Posted by
158 posts

We flew Aegean within Greece last month. It was a quick flight but we would fly them again.

Posted by
1070 posts

Surprised your finding poor reviews. Its usually rated quite highly. I found Aegean to be one of the most professional airlines I've flown.

Posted by
4063 posts

I expect all airlines get a mix of reviews. I flew with Aegean twice, a couple of years ago. One flight, international, was routine; the other, from a Greek island to Athens, was late enough I missed a connection. The compensation was just enough to buy a cup of overpriced airport coffee and the Athens airport Wifi was feeble. Par for the course when island-hopping, not "budget", and I would use the line again without hesitation.

Posted by
259 posts

Just flew them last week. Was a short trip from Greek island to Athens.
Small plane, propeller. One flight attendant. 45 minute flight, so hard to compare much but it was perfectly fine and was on time.

Posted by
159 posts

I sure hope they are ok…
I already booked a flight Istanbul to Chania. They did seem better than some of the other smaller airlines. I also didn’t have many options.

I am a bit worried about my carry on….I may have to layer up like the Michelin man to get my luggage just right on the scale. They can’t charge you for wearing too many clothes.

Wish me luck!!!

Posted by
32247 posts

I've flown Aegean Airlines in the past and thought they were a "class act". The flight crew were excellent, the aircraft was clean and well maintained and they were on time. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

I'm not sure what ratings you were looking at, but these ratings seem reasonably good - https://skytraxratings.com/airlines/aegean-airlines-rating .

Posted by
346 posts

We've flown them within Greece. It was that or take a ferry, and sometimes flight is just easier. If it works for your trip, which seems to be a fairly short one (compared to 12 hours from SFO), just go with it.

Posted by
23443 posts

One trip -- it was fine. Thought of them more as a Southwest budget airline operation or EasyJet. Not a Ryan air.

Posted by
57 posts

We flew on Aegean Airlines from Venice to Athens. They where efficient, professional and on time.