Please sign in to post.

Adapters 100-240v

I have looked on the back of the chargers for our phones and iPads, and they say 100-240v. I read that meant they could be used and I wouldn't need an adapter. Now that we are leaving in only 5 days and I have less time to go out and procure one, I am getting paranoid. Is this correct information, or do I need to make a mad dash to the store?

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you! That is what I was afraid of but I am glad I asked instead of thinking I knew what I was doing. Which is never true.

Posted by
922 posts

Emily, to be clear, you need plug adapters only, so your U.S.-style plugs will fit into the wall outlets where you're going. You don't say where that is, so be aware that the adapters needed for the European continent are different than those needed for the UK. You do NOT need a converter, only the small plug adapters that you can pick up at any travel store. Hotels in Europe often have some spares at Reception that have been left behind by former guests, but don't count on it.

Posted by
49 posts

Thank you Rose. We will be on the continent. We will also be staying with a friend most of the time and I think she has "a spare" but I will still try to go out and find one for when we go on little side trips.

Posted by
922 posts

I always bring a couple so I can charge more than one device at a time. Also, they tend to easily go missing.

Posted by
10515 posts

Emily, they are easy to get. I just got a package of two at my local True Value hardware. As Rose said, they go missing, so I have six for this trip.

Posted by
49 posts

Thanks for the suggestion on True Value. When I called Best Buy for some price checking the kid seemed confused and I had a moment of panic. But maybe he didn't feel like working on Saturday night...

Posted by
922 posts

Emily, if you have a RiteAid, Walgreens, CVS, etc. nearby, try looking in their 'Travel Size' section. I think I saw some European-style adapter plugs there recently. Also sporting goods stores have them, like REI. Here's a photo of the one you need. The plastic part might look a little different, but the 2 round pins are the important part.