Please sign in to post.

A Year in Europe

Hello! I just got accepted into the Irish World Academy of Music and Dance at the University of Limerick to work on an MA in Ethnomusicology (the study of folk music). I've played the travel game before. Last summer I backpacked through Europe for 9 weeks, and a few summers ago I studied abroad at Cambridge University. Now, this is different - I'm in it for the long haul. I am excited but nervous. Do you have any tips for transitioning abroad? What books do you suggest I read before I go? What should I pack? How much money should I bring (besides for school and housing)? And so on. Has anybody spent a year abroad and have stories to share? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
517 posts

Congratulations! How exciting! The first time I lived overseas it was for 2 years in Germany. My current job has had me living in Austria for the last 8 years. In answer to your question: It will help greatly if you go into this adventure expecting that there will be bumps in the road. The first 6 months are often the "honeymoon", The next 6 months you may find yourself irked by (take your pick) local attitudes, local inefficiencies, local bureaucracy, inability to build relationships with locals, communications breakdowns, exchange rate shock, etc. and for good measure you might catch an unexpected case of homesickness. Some get hit by these maladies rather hard; some sail through without missing a beat. Depends on what you are made of. Usually, once you hit the one year mark things begin to reach a happy balance. Trite but true: Whatever problems you have at home, they will 99% of the time follow you overseas. Expat living is not for everyone. We've seen more than one marriage break up because of it. Mind your alcohol intake. Resist the urge to fall in love with the first cute guy who comes along with a bewitching accent! Learn not to take political disagreements personally. Always keep your sense of humour. All the above having been said: I personally love living in Europe and would have it no other way. The experience is enriching in so many ways. Even if I'm having a really bad week at work, I know that come the weekend I'll be enjoying the charms of Europe.
Again: Congratulations! Have the time of your life!

Posted by
2092 posts

Congrats, Carrie! transitionsabroad.com and expat-blog.com are some sites I'd start with.

Posted by
12040 posts

Definately open a local bank account when you arrive. One of the most immediate differences between traveling abroad versus living abroad that you will encounter right away is paying your bills. Creditors in the EU do not accept American-style checks, and I am not aware of any banks that will perform international wires without going through a lengthy process with you over the phone. Having a bank account over here makes it much easier.

Posted by
2193 posts

Someone I know quite well is also preparing to study abroad and has had good things to say about the Moon Living Abroad series...not sure if there is one for Ireland, but it might be worth checking.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you very much for your advice! I will check those books and websites and make sure to open an Irish bank account when I get there (didn't even think of the check problem). And Thomas, those are some great tips. It's reassuring to know that most expats experience similar troubles partway through and that those are mere phases. I'm excited for my future - a drastic change from my original plans to continue with school inside my own little Los Angeles bubble. A door closed, so I submitted that application thinking "Well, there's nothing to lose!" Now look! This supposed closed door is taking me to the other side of the globe! A thrilling, unknown future lies just a short while ahead. Andiamo!

Posted by
4535 posts

I assume the school works with you on the visa requirements. You'll need one. The local checking account is absolute. Getting a European cellphone or SIM card for your own is a must. Email and Skype are great for staying in touch with home. But be prepared for homesickness and loneliness and some touch patches. A full year is tough and will be full of challenges and trials. You'll survive and near the end you'll be so sorry it's ending soon. And you'll have almost nothing but fond memories.
Pack the same as for your summer study. The only difference is either bring warmer clothes or have them shipped slow boat once you arrive (they'll make it by fall). PM for any other specific questions (I studied a year in France)

Posted by
284 posts

Suggest that you treat it as moving as opposed to keeping two residences. Only difference is that you are moving a significant distance with different banking and infrastructure (electrical, automotive, medical, insurance, etc.). So, need to get banking situated, housing, medical, insurance, etc consistent with what goes down in Limerick. Consider pull up all stakes in LA and essentially making a clean get away. Consider medical items such as doctors and prescriptions since you are best off on obtaining them near where you plan on living while attending school. Considering selling what you can live without and picking up what you need once overseas. Keep an eye on electronics since electronics will be drastically more expensive in Europe than the States but keep in mind the electrical differences when making a decision. Try to downsize as much as possible and take only what stuff you can check / carry-on. I have seen several individuals paying excessive baggage fees to take 3 or 4 suitcases of cloths to the tune of hundreds of dollars. The same costs will apply if you decide to move back to the States or continue you journey oveseas. Edwin PS- Don't forget to research income taxes in both where you are leaving from and where you are moving too.

Posted by
5678 posts

I was smiling as I read this advice. I'm moving from Wisconsin to Manhattan and much of the advice is the same! Particularly the bit about down sizing. ; ) Seriously though, I thought Thomas's advice was right on. It was a long time ago that I spent six months in Germany, but I went through the sames stages on a short cycle. ; ) For a couple of hours Easter Sunday I was desperately homesick, but it did go away. For me one of the things that I was very glad that I did when I was in Germany, was to explore as much as possible. We all say that we'll get back, but it did take me much longer than I would have thought to return to Germany. I did the same thing when I moved to California briefly. I got to Yosemite, the redwoods, Lake Tahoe, Napa, Carmel, the Monterrey Penninsula and so on. So, while you'll be working hard, and you're fortunate that you've traveled in Europe before, take the time to explore as well. Have a fantastic couple of years. You've reminded me that I need to think about New York this way. I've just started planning when I'm going to ride the Staten Island Ferry on a "sunset cruise." Pam

Posted by
2193 posts

Carrie: One additional thought: In addition to your study visa, you may need to apply for a separate work permit if you plan on working while in school. If you're starting this fall and haven't submitted your visa application yet, you need to get moving...it can take some time. Good luck!!!

Posted by
32 posts

Points taken! I will make sure to pack strategically and to begin applying for visas. Those fees just start adding up, don't they? Pam- one thing that is helping me relax about my move is seeing how many of my friends have moved to other states and are doing just fine. State or country, it's still far from home, and it's still a new culture to adapt to!

Posted by
1986 posts

carrie: As someone commented above- you will have some days when you really feel alone (Christmas, Easter etc) just expect that- aespecially in Winter when it can be cold and dark and depressing. But you must take advantage of every weekend or school break week. Go somewhere each weekend. This is a wonderful opprortunity to see at least one new country. And from Ireland you can zap over to Europe or England- absolutely no limits. been there, done that. you will not regret it

Posted by
5792 posts

Carrie, Congratulations. It will be a great year. Try Culture Shock Ireland as a read before you go. When I lived overseas (3 years), I didn't experience any real homesickness or culture shock on arrival. Rather, coming back to the U.S. was the more difficult part of the experience. When you live in another country, you expect to experience some culture shock on arrival and over time you adapt and this becomes your new norm. When you come back home, you don't expect to experience any transition issues so things can seem strange when you return. I do agree that it is helpful to plan to do a new thing every week. Go to a concert at the university or see a sight in town or take a day trip. The time will go by very quickly. Read up on what you need to open a bank account. I know in London I had to bring a lot of documentation to open an account (copy of bank statements, letter from employer, proof of address, etc.). You will need an account to pay your bills and you will also want a debit card. If you have family members who are going to be calling you, have them sign up for an international plan with a low rate to Ireland. Even though the airlines charge you for extra luggage, this may still be cheaper than shipping your belongings. I'd buy bed linen and hair dryer once you arrive. I walked a lot more in Europe. A pair of lightweight waterproof hiking boots can be extremely practical in the winter when it is cold a rainy and you are waiting for a bus. I also found that a raincoat with a hood was also a great choice when you are walking and taking public transportation.

Posted by
32 posts

Brian and Laura, I like this traveling-every-weekend idea. I can see how that would keep me alert, no matter how deep into the year I get. Plus, may as well take advantage of my proximity to many different cultures just a quick flight away. And Laura, thanks for the packing advice. I know it's rainy in Ireland, but I didn't think of of getting a rain coat... I'm from Sunny Southern California where rain is a weird thing that nobody knows what to do with, and the most contact I have with it is running from my car to my destination a few days a year. No need for a raincoat here. I will definitely invest in one, now that you mentioned it. Interesting perspective on culture shock, too. Warning heeded.

Posted by
12040 posts

Another aspect of life that is very different from the US is the opening hours of stores- they usually open later, close earlier and are almost never open on Sundays. What I have found is that this forces me to budget my time more efficiently. And I also appreciate that because I can't run any errands on Sundays, it really does become a day of leisure. I also agree with Laura about the reverse-cultural shock. If you expect things to be slightly different in Europe, there really isn't that much actual cultural shock upon moving here. You find yourself adapting and adjusting until it becomes your new normal baseline. My biggest "cultural shock" as well was when I returned to the US for a week last winter. Although advertising does exist in Europe, I find that over here, it's less intrusive into daily life, less crass, and seems to be less intent on convincing me to buy things I simply don't need. From this perspective, when I visited the US, it seemed like being hit over the head with the message "Buy, BUY, BUY, SPEND, SPEND SPEND!"

Posted by
9145 posts

When visiting Edinburgh last year, we were thrilled with how many 2nd hand stores there were. Tons of them! I don't know how it is in Ireland, but you may not need to bring a lot of stuff with you. Just buy it when you arrive. When you get ready to leave, let the stores have it back as a donation. Clothing, electrical items, coats, boots, etc.

Posted by
32 posts

Very interesting perspective on advertising differences. I think it will be relieving to go to a place where I don't see the same billboard every mile or watch the same awful commercial 3 times during one program. Kind of shows the difference in priorities - here, we must work to make money to buy things, there, you must spend some time just enjoying life. Is that about right? And I didn't think of second hand stores. That would be perfect - cheap and functional. I'm a loan indebted student, not a CEO.

Posted by
12040 posts

I also missed Laura's comments about boots. Yes, I completely agree that you need adequate footwear in the winter. After spending my first full winter in western Europe, here's one of the things I noticed. It usually doesn't stay cold enough for a suffiecient period of time for all the ground water to freeze. But likewise, it isn't warm enough to cause evaporation. So from the months of November to March, you can expect the ground to remain pretty consistently soggy. It won't be an issue if you only walk on concrete in the cities, but if you walk through parks or grass to any extent, you can expect to track a lot of mud around.

Posted by
295 posts

Two of my daughters went to university (England and Germany). Make sure you have a list of the documents you will need (from the university) and make sure you have them all with you when you arrive at passport control. My oldest daughter missed one of her documents so they wouldn't provide the student visa stamp; it took five months for her to get it, with numerous letters and visits to London. She missed something that the university didn't say she needed: a letter from me stating I would cover all of her medical (even though she would be covered under National Health) and financial expenses for her entire stay, along with proofs of income to back up my letter.

Posted by
32 posts

Oh dear. That's a nightmare. Advice noted! And rainboots - don't have them now, but definitely going to get them after realizing the mud problem. Again, rain is pretty foreign to me... I forget about attire I would need to deal with extreme weather conditions.

Posted by
1986 posts

Carrie
you will probably find the clothing available in Ireland is more suitable to their weather than you could get in Los Angeles. Also you will be more likely to be dressed like a local

Posted by
2193 posts

You'll need to supply a ton of info (passport & photos, acceptance letter, tuition/fees letter, etc.), but make sure you reference the checklist (typically after the last page) before submitting your visa application to make sure you have supplied all of the information being requested to avoid what Dennis encountered. And just to make sure it's super clear you can cover all expenses during your study, don't forget to include any employment info, investments, any FAFSA aid you're eligible for (loans since you're not eligible for FAFSA grants outside of US), any other college savings/loans/scholarships, etc. when submitting the financial information and bank/financial statements they'll request from you.

Posted by
10 posts

I have to second the posts about having appropriate clothing for the weather. Ireland's weather cannot possibly be more different than LA's. You will need to make sure that you take things that you can layer. When you are investing in a rain coat, you might want to find one that has a zip out lining. This will allow you to use one coat during a wide temperature range. Make sure that you check out Ireland's climate at sites like www.wunderground.com so you really know what temperature ranges you will experience. You won't have nearly the amount of sun and warm days that you are used to in LA. I would also take a can of Scotchguard pr other water repellent with you. That way you can spray all of your shoes, etc. Wet feet can make any day misearable. Good Luck and enjoy your studies. Definitely make sure that you take advantage of exploring.

Posted by
3 posts

I'm so jealous! Congratulations. I can second the comments about having more culture shock moving back to the US. I spent 6 months in France some time ago. No problems going over there, but I was in a pretty deep funk after returning here. Travel as much as you can - everything is so much closer.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks, guys! Advice noted. That layered raincoat thing sounds nice and fun. I just might invest in one. All this red tape is quite confusing and is taking a long time! Accept a place, pay money, borrow money, pay money again, show the visa people that I have money... Thanks for all of your advice about the process. I really hope I don't flub this up!

Posted by
331 posts

I agree with Jo, plenty second hand clothes shops in Britain, and of a good quality. Something I really miss here in Germany.