Please sign in to post.

A Word About Spam

Hello everyone,
I've read over several posts and emails recently and I'd like to address them. Thank you all for the genuine concern that many of you have shared about spam on our forums.

First, a note about what you can do to help if you are so inclined.
1) Most importantly, do not ever use/click the links in the spam posts as clearly some people are doing so. Since spammers track how many clicks their links get (I'm referring to the links in their posts, not links to their posts in the forum), they know when people click. They are spamming our forums because someone is clicking on them. Even if you are just curious, do not click on their links as you are encouraging their efforts. Copying the link and pasting it into a new tab does not circumvent spammers' ability to know that they are getting traffic by posting spam on our forums.
2) Do not reply to a post or topic that is spam. It only elevates that topic on our boards.
3) Please simply use our forum's Report feature. We recognize that many of you already do and your help there is greatly appreciated.

Responses to some comments:
Please keep in mind that we have seen spam here before. It comes and goes. Sometimes it goes on its own, and sometimes it goes because we applied an update.
I don't blame you for saying that our current controls are ineffective given the spam we've seen, but trust me... the current controls are doing a lot.
No, you won't get a virus from seeing a spam post on our forum... though it is possible if you click their promotional links.
The Helpline was not better at blocking spam and was far less equipped to deal with the current influx.

Many of you have offered good suggestions about how to address the problem and we appreciate that you are trying to help the community. However, please know that this is a complex issue and, even if your solution sounds simple, there is not a simple solution. Otherwise, we would have just done it. ;) Btw, spammers solved capchas long ago.

Please know that we are working to find the right way to prevent spam without creating significant inconveniences for our legitimate community members. Thank you for your patience as we work on this.

Posted by
2252 posts

Thank you. I can't imagine any of this is easy for you and your staff.

Posted by
1976 posts

Thank you for posting this and for all the hard work you're doing behind the scenes.

Is there always a Report button for each post? I look for it on every spam post but sometimes don't see it.

Posted by
19092 posts

Sarah, if you are not signed in, you won't see the report link.

Posted by
3753 posts

Thank you for working tirelessly to get rid of the spam!

Posted by
795 posts

I have been reporting many spam posts I see each day. I do not reply to them as that just encourages them but I do click the report button to help you find them. I am the administrator on several popular pages on Facebook and one has almost a million members so you can imagine the spam we face! Fortunately for us, Facebook makes it where we can block people from our site altogether. I am especially concerned that no one get involved with the spammer who is posting in pretty much all places you can post including replies to posts who are selling false and "real" passports, visas, id, etc. Only a government can issue a real passport, visa, and government ID and those trying to travel with one the scammer is selling will likely wind up in prison for trying to use them. Be careful everyone. If you click on any spam link, it could put a virus on your computer.

Posted by
731 posts

thank you!

i like to find "real" posts in those areas and just comment on them, thus bumping up the "real" threads.....this puts those spam posts down the line.

Posted by
9567 posts

Good luck with this and keep up the good work.

Thanks to whoever reminded that you can only see the "Report" link if you're logged in. I had forgotten!

Posted by
1101 posts

Just reported some spam in the Rick Steves Tours forum, which for some reason spammers seem to prefer.

I have to say, though, that I'm wondering why some steps are not done to catch more spam. I don't know if the web team at RS can write code or just puts packages in play, but if the former it shouldn't be too hard to do things like

• filter out posts with multiple links to reddit.com
  • prevent new posters (less than 10 posts, or 25 posts) from posting links. Other forums do this, BTW
  • require the first 10 or so posts be approved by a moderator. Again, many other sites do this
Posted by
507 posts

I was told that we see only 20% of the spam since the spam filter picks up 80% of the spam.

Please note the OP is the Web Master. :-)

Posted by
102 posts

This long time traveler with and without RS guides, finds this topic difficult. Spam makes this 25 year military vet spit some phrases better suited for the drill field...yes drill is all cleaned up now. NOT. Anyway not being techno minded in any way I still can not believe there is no way to stop this (s...) before it takes over the travel forum. Anyone agree!

Posted by
1064 posts

I appreciate your efforts to limit the effect of spam and hard work to do so, even if you cannot keep it all out. It must be even more frustrating to you than to us.

One thing I would suggest, at least for the time being, is post Point 1, above, in bold type at the top of every forum subject page. The word needs to reach everyone multiple times until it sinks in. Posts like this reach only the choir, not those in back of the church who snooze during the service.

Posted by
2186 posts

Wow- do you guys ever get to sleep? I tagged some spam late last night posted on the Sweden forum and it was gone before 7 a.m. PST. Thank you for being so diligent.

Posted by
71 posts

Our servers never go to sleep, and they do quite a bit of cleaning for us automagically.

Posted by
8293 posts

There has been no spam, Korean or Reddit, for days. Nice work, people.

Posted by
7029 posts

I agree heartily with Norma. Either the spammers got tired of getting no responses to their junk or the clean-up crew is doing a spectacular job. I tend to believe it's the latter. Thanks guys.

Posted by
10344 posts

Congratulations and thanks to the Rick Steves staff who have (at least temporarily) gotten rid of the spammers!

Posted by
1307 posts

The spammer has apparently returned ... under Italy ... about the upcoming prize fight.

Posted by
2261 posts

"automagically"

Ha! Just caught that, thanks for a new one, Nikky.

Posted by
2739 posts

And we have someone in the Hungary Forum who wants to find how to see that fight...Maybe send him to the SPAMMER?

Posted by
4684 posts

Do I see that you now have a way to stop threads from staying at the top of boards after you have deleted spam comments?