Please sign in to post.

A word about spam

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone for your patience with the occasional spam that makes its way into our forum. As has happened many times over the years, spam influxes will come and go. In fact, spammers may be reading this right now and saying "Ha ha, I'm such a jerk! My life's work is so meaningful!" /s

Sometimes we make changes to improve our ability to combat that spam. This is one of those times.

We've adjusted how you can register for an account, we've added restrictions to new members (that most legit new members shouldn't notice), and I'm now capable of making changes much faster to be more reactive to various situations. What classifies as a new member? I can't tell you. What are the new controls? I can't tell you that either! Otherwise, we'd just be informing spammers (jerks!) how to circumvent our controls. No, I won't tell you privately either, forum regulars. ;)

As a reminder -- because it's been done -- please don't mention any specifics of our spam controls on the public boards. Most of you are quite skilled at figuring such things out over the course of their posting history, and that's fine. If someone's having trouble in our forum, please don't 'help' by publicly stating anything about our spam controls. Please direct them my way for assistance (PM or email to webmaster @ rick...).

I hope your takeaway is A) we're doing something about spam and B) if you run into a limitation in the forum that you never ran into before, please let me know! While I expect most of you will never notice, our controls may not be perfect, and I want to make adjustments to ensure our legitimate forum members aren't impacted (or only impacted in rare cases).

Also, I've seen people start new daily threads to indicate spam that has been reported. I appreciate the idea behind it, and I'm sorry that you felt it necessary to do so because of the recent influx, but the people that would benefit the most -- those who would click a spam link -- likely aren't checking it. In the end, it's just another thing we have to remove.

We sincerely appreciate everyone's use of the Report system, and hopefully it's super simple, fast, and easy for you to use. We check every Report, and it's the best way to ensure that spam or behavioral issues are handled.

Thanks to you all for making this a great place to discuss travel.

Posted by
931 posts

Also, three cheers to the member of our IT crew who built out the new set of spam controls. He sometimes pops into the forum to say hi, and I'll let him do so if he wants to be known. :)

Posted by
2393 posts

Thank you for your efforts!
I know it's difficult to keep ahead of the "jerks."

Posted by
13968 posts

Thanks from me as well to you and the whole team, whether they want to be outed or not, lol!!

Posted by
32813 posts

Thanks Webmaster (or is it M) for that herculean effort... and to Mr X (or is it 007) for doing all that for us.

We know we can be more trouble than we're worth sometimes but it seems like a whole new cadre of new folks are discovering us and learning what a wonderful thing this travel thing can be. And we're still giving them advice that saves them money, time, aggravation and possibly keeps them out of trouble with the authorities - and I think most of us are still having fun doing it.

And all because of you guys and ladies. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

Posted by
9607 posts

Well said, Nigel.

Thanks Webmaster (is it A?) — sorry you have been faced with such a flux lately. And indeed, thanks to your team member who has built out the new “tricks”!

Posted by
15825 posts

Webmaster, you ROCK.
So does Spam Terminator IT Guy.
Liz, Nigel, Pam and Kim, you're right up there too. :O)

Posted by
6788 posts

Thank you for the efforts, and the new addition is welcome news.

Posted by
11189 posts

Sadly someone found a way to circumvent the protective measures

Definitely appreciate your efforts to minimize the jerks and their trash

Posted by
7378 posts

Good news! The new measures should help cut down on the number of Reports, as well as the postings that Reports have been made.

Too bad the Spammers don’t have better things to do. Maybe they’ll take some advice from this forum, and go on some kind of bs a trip, somewhere.

Posted by
10230 posts

Thanks to the team for your efforts to make this forum a better place.

Posted by
1287 posts

“Spam Terminator IT Guy”. I’m getting that on a t-shirt! Thanks for your efforts Webmaster too, the spam jerks seem to be having a bit of a prolific period. This forum is, and continues to be, a very wonderful thing…..

Ian

Posted by
4763 posts

All of our Bookmarked topics have disappeared- hopefully that will be corrected soon! Thanks

Posted by
8947 posts

Sure do appreciate all the hard work from the Web team and Webmaster.

Posted by
680 posts

Add my appreciation to the Webmaster et. al. This is a great forum and I have enjoyed the posts and questions and have learned so much to help with my future travel.

Keep on Travelin' :-)

Babette

Posted by
931 posts

Thanks to you all for your kind replies.

"Sadly someone found a way to circumvent the protective measures"

To be clear, our anti-spam measures are not meant to be 100% effective. Setting the controls too tight would affect too many legitimate forum members. We want our forum to be immediately available to new members who may have a time-sensitive question. I expect those of you coming here several times a week will still notice plenty of spam. We just have better ways to clamp down on aspects of it. Honestly, I'll be pleased if we can reduce it by 20-40%, though it could end up better than that. We'll see over time.

Thanks to you all for your understanding, and for putting up with some level of spam so that we can help as many travelers as possible.

Posted by
2252 posts

Many thanks, Webmaster and the IT crew. This forum has been a great source for information/education whether or not I’m currently traveling and I appreciate (along with everyone else) all the hard work and dedication you all consistently put into making the forum what it is today.

Posted by
7378 posts

All of our Bookmarked topics have disappeared- hopefully that will be corrected soon! Thanks

That’s been resolved, and people’s Bookmarks have been restored by the Webmaster. Maybe this was related to the spam reduction procedures? Things should be better now , overall!

Posted by
931 posts

(I can't take credit for fixing the bookmarks... I'm a tech guy but sometimes i'm just the "relay the issue to another tech guy" guy :p )

Posted by
2252 posts

I have always felt that the smartest, wisest people I know are not necessarily those who have all the information I’m seeking but those who know where to find it. Job well done, webmaster.

Posted by
32813 posts

I went a whole day yesterday without reporting a single piece of spam.

All I can say is YAY

Posted by
1373 posts

I'm not a fan of the spam but do get an occasional laugh because a particular post is so ridiculous and out of place. BTW - if you're in the market for some dinosaur eggs or an alien spacecraft I'm your man!