Please sign in to post.

A place to go in late January or early February?

I am looking for a place to go between January 30th and February 4th OR between February 10th and February 14th (+ or -). No real limit as to where.

Someplace with an event or something special going on. Someplace where the cold either adds to the place or at least doesn’t detract. Something like Busójárás would be great.

Choices based solely on the fact that they are typically 15 degrees warmer than most of Europe isn’t what I am looking for because I think I would best enjoy them in the weather when they are most enjoyed (if that makes sense).

Posted by
2448 posts

Iceland - Food and Fun Festival and Sonar both happening in the capital (see how I dodged trying to spell it?) :)

Posted by
9569 posts

Here's something that's four days earlier than you are thinking of going . . .

http://www.shetland.org/things/events/culture-heritage/up-helly-aa

From the web page:

Tuesday 26th January 2016

"There will be no postponement for weather". That's a defiant boast by Shetland's biggest fire festival, considering it's held in mid-winter on the same latitude as southern Greenland. But it's true: gales, sleet and snow have never yet stopped the Up Helly Aa guizers of Lerwick from burning their Viking galley - and then dancing the dawn away.

Up Helly Aa is a lot more than a sub-arctic bonfire and booze-up. It's a superb spectacle, a celebration of Shetland history, and a triumphant demonstration of the islanders' skills and spirit. This northern Mardi Gras lasts just one day (and night). But it takes several thousand people 364 days to organise. Much of the preparation is in strictest secrecy. The biggest secret of all is what the head of the festival, the 'Guizer Jarl', will wear and which character from the Norse Sagas he'll represent."

Posted by
16893 posts

I would go earlier in Febuary with the plan to attend Carnevale, for instance in Ivrea, Italy. Since Ash Wednesday is on Feb. 10, 2016, the battles of oranges will be the few days before that.

Posted by
7049 posts

What about the Quebec Winter Carnival? Maybe too kid-like but the ice sculptures are great to see. The cold definitely "adds to the place"..and it certainly will be cold!
http://carnaval.qc.ca/en/