Please sign in to post.

Oxford

My mom and I have only a couple of days in Oxford before heading to Bath for three days then London for 6 nights.
What are the must see places in Oxford. Thanks! Carol

Posted by
4684 posts

Museums: The Ashmolean (art and antiquities) and the incredibly atmospheric University Museum (natural history) and Pitt Rivers Museum (anthropology). Also the under-rated Museum of the History of Science (near the Bodleian) which often has very good temporary exhibitions. The Covered Market. Colleges - any of the older colleges in the city centre. Do remember though that Oxford colleges are working educational institutions and not tourist attractions - some refuse entry to tourists and it is especially hard to get into colleges in May/June when students are revising for exams. The central block of university buildings around the Bodleian Library, Sheldonian Theatre and University Church. If the weather's nice, the University Parks or Christ Church Meadow. The Jericho or Summertown areas don't have any big attractions but are nice to walk in.

Posted by
1068 posts

Philip's covered it very well - but I will add that, when you need to stop for a pint, the Eagle and Child is ideal. Here's its entry on Sacred Destinations: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/england/oxford-eagle-and-child.htm It says, in part: " In the 1940s and 1950s, a small group of like-minded friends met at Oxford's Eagle and Child Pub in Oxford to discuss literature, writing and life. This venerable group, who called themselves "The Inklings," had many happy memories here at the "Bird and Baby." Members of this group include C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, and discussions at this pub contributed to the final form of both Lewis' Narnia books and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series." The pub is SOOOOOOOOO "ye olde" and atmospheric it will blow the top of your head right off. :-)

Posted by
1010 posts

My husband and I took the train from London to Oxford. We crossed the street and got on a Hop-on Hop-off bus. We toured the Oxford area and walked around. Then we got back on a train and returned to London. It was a fine day trip, but we liked Cambridge better. We have been there twice.

Posted by
12172 posts

Regarding the colleges. Most, if not all, have times when they are open to the public. I'd check at the TI to see which are open on the particular day you're there. In addition to Lewis and Tolkien, there are also plenty of Lewis Carroll links to Oxford. Christ church hall will look familiar if you're into Harry Potter: http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/visiting/harry-potter

Posted by
2023 posts

When we were in Oxford we found the Ashmolean to be closed on Monday so keep that in mind. There is an old church that is interesting and has a tower that you can climb and the baptismal font is famous for Shakespeare standing there as a godparent back in the day. The shop that has Alice-in-Wonderland items is worth a visit. The real highlight for us was being able to visit a dining hall that was all set up for lunch (King's or Christ College?) and a Harry Potter movie had a scene in that dining hall.

Posted by
2023 posts

Thanks Keith for clarifying the info regarding Christ College. I think King's College in Cambridge had a dining hall scene in Chariots of Fire. We made the ultimate mistake in visiting Cambridge: exam period and we could not see a single college. But we enjoyed the town and lunch at a nice pub.