Please sign in to post.

Safety in Turkey

I am traveling to Istanbul and the near vicinity for two weeks this April. I am a female and will be traveling alone. After the bombing at the US consulate this morning and the seemingly constant elevation of conflict in the general area, I am now more worried about my safety. Even if I stay inside the city of Istanbul (on the European side) would my safety be greatly compromised? Should I alter or cancel my travel plans? Who do I contact for more information on current safety for Americans in Turkey? I am almost of the mindset that that part of the world is going to get worse before it gets better and that the historic sites should be seen before they are destroyed...thoughts???

Posted by
11507 posts

Rebe I doubt you look "obviously American". You may speak english and wear jeans, but that does not make you American. Why do Americans think they look so different from Australians( they don't all wear khakis) and Canadians( we don't all wear toques and lumber jackets) , you likely don't unless you wear a cowboy hat and boots or an American flag drapped over you. I have been asked if I am American. I look just like you. My "accent" is just like anyones from the Pacific Northwest too, not that anyone whos first language is not english is able to tell much from accents. I wear same brands and styles of clothing. So while its fine to decide you are not comfortable with solo travel, I wouldn't do so because I felt I looked too "American".
You probably just look like a tourist and I am not sure it open season on tourists. To be fair I haven't heard about the Embassy bombing, so that is something I would look into and I would look on your own embassies websites, don't they usually post travel alert warnings.. ?

Posted by
118 posts

my trip will be solo as well. someone brought up new york city. i live here. so im kind of more used to going about daily life living inside a city plagued with terror threats. i am trying to not let that influence my decision. im trying to make myself not to get too cocky and do "pfffffft been there, done that" about safety. but three times today i found myself reminding people "im from new york, im used to terror threats" so i need to work better on this.

Posted by
1840 posts

I think that if you are worried about your safety you should not go, however Istanbul is more safe that just about any place in the world. More safe than San Antonio.

Posted by
118 posts

hi rebe - i am going to istanbul in may. i just registered on this website for s about thirty seconds ago: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1046.html i also noticed this: "Please be advised that explosions have been confirmed in front of Embassy Ankara. U.S. citizens are advised to not visit the Consulates in Istanbul, Adana or the Embassy in Ankara until further notice. We will this message to U.S. citizens on our webpage when we have additional information." since my trip isnt until may, i have decided to just leave it as it for now. *edit to add: if you are personally feeling any bit of reluctance towards your trip, take that into consideration. if 23894723894 people tell you that you will be fine, and you still personally do not feel at ease, you probably wont enjoy your trip. thats kind of how i am looking at it. if i am the least bit afraid, i know i wont enjoy my time there.

Posted by
32214 posts

Rebe, As someone else mentioned, Turkey is generally a very safe country although travel in the border areas near Syria would not be a real good idea at this time. I learned of the Ankara incident this morning, and also heard the warnings to stay clear of U.S. consular facilities in that area. I tend to be less concerned with this sort of thing so would probably still go, however my circumstances are somewhat different. You'll have to decide how comfortable you feel with the situation. As someone else mentioned, registering with the U.S. State Department would probably be prudent. You could also make a call to ETBD, as I'm sure they will have good up-to-date information from their Turkish Guides. In the same situation, I'd probably contact SRM TRAVEL and arrange at least one walking tour (or whatever) with them. It shouldn't cost much and the Guide will be able to show you the best areas and provide tips on how to avoid problems. Travelling with an experienced Guide will likely provide somewhat of a "comfort factor". Good luck with your decision and (hopefully) Happy Travels!

Posted by
3 posts

I guess my main concern now is just traveling there alone...I am obviously an American and I think for safety sake I'm going to postpone until I find a group or travel buddy unless you all have some suggestions for that also!

Posted by
3696 posts

Rebe... there is no real easy way to answer this. I am planning a trip for a group to Turkey this Sept. and when I heard this my first thought was...Oh, should I change the plans?? (and I am not one to be too afraid to travel) It only took a few minutes for me to look at the risk factor and try to be logical about it all. Unless things escalate the chances of something happening to me are probably zero. I have been to Istanbul before and loved it and really do want to return. It all depends on how you feel about it. Have you been to NYC since 9/11? I remember my first trip there a few weeks after and as the bridges were suspect, I was a bit nervous driving over the TappanZee, but I did not want to become paralyzed thinking there is evil everywhere. If you decide not to go in April you can PM me as we will be trying to get together a group to go in Sept. Perhaps you could join us. BTW I love San Antonio!

Posted by
12040 posts

Terrorists mostly attack fixed targets or known targets with regular patterns. They attack only after extensive surveillance and planning. As an anonymous, random tourist, you are neither a prominent target, nor do you have a set daily routine that could be observed and compromised. Unless you plan on crossing the boarder and visiting Aleppo or Homs, your chances of being caught in random violence are infinitely small compared to the risk of dying in an automobile accident. If you see a crowd of angry people, move away. Check the State Department's travel advisory website for information on specific threats.

Posted by
281 posts

Rebe, I have been to Istanbul two times since 2010. It is a lovely city and I felt very safe there. My last trip in October was with a female friend but we often went out on our own. I think the European side attracts more tourist but that is not say it is safer. The worst thing that has happened is having a rug salesman try to make a sale each time I pass. By the end of the trip we just say "hello" in passing. Just take the usual
precautions with your belongings. The Turkish people are very friendly.

Posted by
981 posts

Hi Rebe, Here is the thing, American diplomatic missions all over the world are under threat from terrorists and the terrorists will strike where ever they find a weakness be it Paris, Dublin or Ankara! But that does not mean that the people in that country are anti American or anti foreigner, it just means that someone let their guard down. I've seen nothing to suggest that your average Turk supports the bombing and I would expect that you will be fine, sticking to your plan. But at the same time I would avoid obvious target places such as diplomatic missions, made in America businesses such as Starbucks etc.. Jim.

Posted by
7039 posts

Rebe, I agree with Ken & Tom. If you planned on travel to border areas where there is unrest, then you might want to rethink your plans. But for Istanbul and the East Coast of Turkey ask yourself this: if a bomb went off at the American Embassy in London, or Paris, or Rome would you cancel your plans to visit there three months from now. If your answer is no I would go anyway, then go to Istanbul (you're as likely to suffer from terrorist attack in any of these other cities), if your answer is yes, then by all means change your plans, you probably wouldn't really enjoy yourself anyway. If you do go to Istanbul, don't hang around the American Embassy or Consulate (unless you need there services of course), just relax and enjoy yourself. By the way, I would go.

Posted by
893 posts

Like others have said, only you can decide whether you are comfortable traveling there. I am supposed to be in Istanbul in about 5 weeks time. As long as there are no more incidents, I will definitely be going. The way I look at it, you've got to be prepared for the worst case scenario (but not keep thinking about it as you won't be able to enjoy your vacation). To me, the worst case is things go south quickly and you're suddenly in an evacuation scenario (like what happened in Egypt in 2011). I believe there is very little chance of this happening, yet I will make sure I'm prepared by always having passports, credit card, and a fairly large amount of cash in my money belt. The cash can be used to buy transport to the airport. Passport gets you onto one of the US flights, and credit card will pay for it. Some former state department worker wrote a book and talked about how back in his day, they carried emergency cash in their shoes in the event of an emergency evacuation. My other piece of advice is not to watch Argo if you haven't already seen it. I sat in the theater watching it and seriously questioned my sanity of taking my family to Egypt last year!

Posted by
110 posts

I would suggest taking a breath and then making up your mind to go. Is one incident enough to make you change you plans? I went to Turkey for a month with my sister and mom and we never had a problem or felt unsafe. I even went for walks by my self in Istanbul. Most Turks were glad to have tourist around. And most people were very friendly. Personally the history I learned in Turkey helped me to understand some of the context of current events. Yes you may encounter people who do not like Americans or more likely you will meet people who do not like american government policies. But generally they know one tourist does not make government policy decisions.
You are more likely to meet someone confrontational about their views here in the US then in Turkey. I would go but only you can decide if you are comfortable.

Posted by
9100 posts

Looking through those pics it's actually a combo Hardees/KFC/Baskin Robins/Krispy Kreme they trashed. Have they no shame! I've never seen a sadder Col. Sanders in my life.

Posted by
389 posts

"I would avoid obvious target places... made in America businesses such as Starbucks etc.." Have to disagree with this bit. Starbucks and other American chain restaurants in Turkey are patronized overwhelmingly by Turks, and of course all the employees are Turks. They also hold no political significance. These places are not going to be targeted.

Posted by
981 posts

Actually Bets traveling on an Irish passport in most of the Middle East is very safe. They consider us to be anti British and as the saying goes - mine enemy's enemy is my friend!

Posted by
989 posts

.... it appears they have, sadly, found the body of the missing NY woman in Turkey. You have to consider all safety measures when travelling, not just political unrest.

Posted by
389 posts

We do Turkey a grave disservice when we equate it in our minds with fractious Arab countries such as Lebanon, Libya, and Syria. Turkey is a completely different culture with, for instance, far less propensity for Islamic radicalism. Millions of Western tourists pass through every year without incident. The recent murder of an embassy guard by a leftist group does not mean that the country is more dangerous for tourists, just like the Newtown shooting did not make American schools more dangerous. They are highly isolated incidents.

Posted by
3049 posts

Agree with Will, not sure "what part of the world" Rebe is referring to. Turkey gets lumped in with "the Middle East/North Africa" because most Turks are Muslim, but it's important for people to realize that Turkey is hugely different from other Muslim countries (and it's not in the Middle East of course) in that it's a relatively liberal secular democracy without a history and culture of strong anti-American feelings (which is helped by the fact that we've never occupied them...) (And before people say it, yes, anti-Americanism has increased in Turkey as a result of the Iraq war, but that was true around the globe including in Western Europe. Turkey is not an isolated case).

Posted by
9110 posts

'(and it's not in the Middle East of course)' Huh???? '(which is helped by the fact that we've never occupied them...)' And the fact that Turkey didn't exist until 1922, even though the allied occupation of the area after WW I was one of the factors that prompted the nationalist movement.

Posted by
389 posts

Btw, we shouldn't lump together the Arab countries either. I was saddened by reports that tourist arrivals in Tunisia plummeted after the events of the Arab Spring, even though the political transition there was relatively quick and painless. Also, though I don't follow the situation in Lebanon, I imagine there are still plenty of good times to be had in Beirut.

Posted by
3049 posts

Hey Ed, have you ever heard of Asia Minor? Turkey borders the region we define as "the middle east". It is not IN the middle east.

Posted by
389 posts

No, it's the Near East! A term used all too seldom these days.

Posted by
5535 posts

When I took geography, we learned that Turkey was in the Middle East. Of course, we also learned that Hungary, Czech Republic, Poland, etc were in Eastern Europe. I'm not sure who the global authority is on the region known as the Middle East, but The World Atlas shows Turkey as part of the Middle East World Atlas Middle East http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/me.htm And the Middle East Institute in DC has a Center for Turkish Studies. Back to the original question. If you crossed places off your list because of terrorism, then Madrid, London, Paris, Oklahoma City, Washington, DC, and New York, as well as many more places would also be off limits. Turkey is a wonderful place to visit ... great people and great history. For information on Turkey, I'd recommend Tom Brosnahan's Turkey Travel Planner website. I've heard him speak and he is extremely knowledgeable about Turkey. He was the author of the Lonely Planet Guide for many years.

Posted by
3049 posts

ugh ffs, another pointless geographical terminology discussion that has nothing to do with the actual issue. my point was that culturally, historically, linguistically, etc etc etc turkey does not share the complicated 'issues' with the US that most middle eastern countries do. and we didn't occupy them, they were the in the british zone. turkey is not a place that harbors deep resentment towards the US, although disagreement with some of our past and current policies, sure. idk what kind of geography you guys learned in school and i don't really care what the state department says: people who define turkey as in the middle east are as ridiculous as people who define libya as in the middle east. and again, it's moot: the issue is safety and culture. i was trying to address, in a polite way, the OP's weird implied notion that Turkey is a country on the brink of war overrun by terrorists or something, which is of course, ridiculous. turkey is completely safe for american tourists.

Posted by
191 posts

I am traveling next week solo to Istanbul and I have no hesitations. I work with people who travel to Africa and the Middle East all of the time and Istanbul is one of the safest places to travel in the region. I travel a lot internationally solo and think I make good choices for safety, so I am happy to make this trip. That being said, you have to do what is right for you based on how comfortable you are. You can always travel at another time when worry wouldn't overshadow the adventure of your trip. It really is a question only you can answer.

Posted by
9110 posts

'Hey Ed, have you ever heard of Asia Minor?' Uh, we'll, yes - - I guess - - since my very first master's degree was in geography (which also answers the implied question about 'what kind of geography you guys learned in school') and Asia Minor must have been mentioned in passing somewhere. I've also heard of Egypt which is also in the Middle East, but not in Asia Minor - - so the point of the question is - - don't let facts stand in the way of an opinion? And how did Turkey get homogeneous all of a sudden? It has at least a dozen ethnic groups and at least that many spoken languages.

Posted by
2527 posts

Not only has this discussion prompted me to revisit past geography lessons, I also learned the meaning of two new acronyms.

Posted by
4637 posts

Turkey is in NATO and it was a candidate to enter EU. Nevertheless as a woman traveling alone especially if you are young you should exercise caution more than somewhere else in Europe. It is a muslim patriarchal society and you can see a lot of groups of men standing around and especially after dark almost no women being around. Certainly not alone. Your intentions could be misinterpreted. I would not be concerned about terrorist attack. Likelihood that somebody shoots you in San Antonio is greater.

Posted by
705 posts

Since Rebe decided to postpone her trip (see the 4th post down) and has probably left the building, all the rest of this must be conversation among ourselves. Right?

Posted by
14539 posts

In German Asia Minor/Turkey used to be defined as not in the Middle East, but rather in the Near East... im Nahost. I wonder if that has changed with globalisation and/or being pc, if that's your choice. Americans had defined Turkey as in the Middle East.

Posted by
3 posts

I have decided to still go on my trip. I am shortening it from 2 weeks to 1, however, so I am not overly tempted to stray off the beaten path with extra time. You all have been very helpful and provided some interesting information. I have full confidence that I will be safe in Istanbul (as safe as in any city). My task that remains is convincing my family of this fact...

Posted by
9423 posts

ffs... Just learned it too... love it. Always enjoy your posts Sarah. "Wouldn't you hate to stay home and get hit by a drunk driver?" Exactly. Very well said Wray.