Please sign in to post.

southern Austria

This will be our 6th time to Germany/Austria landing in Amsterdam and traveling throughout Germany and Austria BY TRAIN! Now seeking advice for small towns in southern Austria such as Klagenfurt (too big?) Villach, Graz, Spittal. Been to Hallstatt and Zell-am See. Would love your suggestions! Sandy

Posted by
8170 posts

With the cost of gasoline, I cannot blame anyone for traveling from city to city by train. But when you get to any destination with mountain vistas, it's time to get a rental car. Then you'll have the options to stay in places of incredible beauty that are not necessarily along the rail lines.
The Villach to Graz area of southern Austria is absolutely spectacular scenery. I also love it west of Villach, over by Lienz. The area also has some great resort hotels.

Posted by
7043 posts

Sandy, we stayed a night in Villach (quite a few years ago) and I liked it a lot. It's a very pretty town with a nice pedestian only shopping/dining area and it's on a river which is always nice. There's a beautiful church there with a bell tower you can climb. The only thing I saw of Klagenfurt was the name at the dock when we were on a cruise of Lake Maria Worth - which I highly recommend. Southern Austria is a beautiful area of mountains and lakes.

Posted by
14580 posts

Hi, I was in Graz (Steiermark) in southeastern Austria on a day trip from Vienna last summer, too short of a visit, but highly recommend it, and I would do it again. It has a different feel to it, culturally and historically.

Posted by
275 posts

I spent two days in Graz last year and I really recommend it. I spent one day exploring the city centre, then the next day at Schloss Eggenberg which is on the outskirts of town, and easily reachable by tram.