Please sign in to post.

Romantic Road vs. Black Forest

I have a question regarding where to spend our time in Germany. Our family will be vacationing in Europe this Summer. We have roughly 3 or four days to spend between the Romantic Road or Black Forest, my husband said that we have to choose because the two run somewhat parallel and 3 hours apart from one another, and with two little boys, he didn't want them stuck in a car driving everywhere. My question is....How do you choose? I hear great things about both but don't have any real hardcore specifics to know which would be the better of the two. I always here "Oh, the romantic road because it's so cute with all the towns"...that's pretty broad. If we were to go to the Black Forest, what's there to do besides hiking? If we were to try the romantic road with 3 to 4 days, will we get through it all, is there maybe some real major "must see" towns or things to do. I just don't want to drive down a road through town after town not knowing where to stop if any. I'm in a pickle. Please help :o) Tiffany

Posted by
3049 posts

Romantic road makes more sense for your needs because it terminates (or begins, depending on how you're looking at it) in Fuessen, which is in an area with LOTS of activities to entertain little ones, like metal slide trips (for the life of me i can only remember the term for these in German right now, not in english!!) and train trips to the tallest mountain in German (zugspitze) and the like. The romantic road is more tourist-oriented which can be a good thing with two little kids, too, there will be more to entertain them.
3-4 days may be overkill though, for much of the road there isn't that much to distinguish the towns from each other. Few people would probably really want to stop at every single town on the road. 2-3 days would probably be plenty.

Posted by
3696 posts

I would choose the Romantic Road as well. I have taken a couple of my grandsons there and they both enjoyed it. Castles, quaint villages, walled city, view of mountains... Our favorite towns are Dinkelsbuhl and Rothenberg. While I enjoyed driving around the Black Forest area I do not remember it being particularly exciting and I have no need to return.

Posted by
8163 posts

We've done the Black Forest. It was pretty country, but not outstanding like Southern Bavaria around Fuessen. On the Romantic Road, interesting towns are closer together. Just Google Romantic Road and you'll find plenty of information on what's along the way.
You just run it as long as you have time.