Please sign in to post.

Italy in early March

My wife and I will be taking our first trip to Italy starting March 8 to March 21, 2013. We'll be starting in Rome and traveling noth. Just curious as to what to expect weather wise during this time of the year. We're coming from the New Jersey USA area and want to try to pack the right way for the trip. Thank You

Posted by
11613 posts

George, you may get more specific answers if you post this question in "To The Boot"; several regular posters live in Italy (or have lived there and return frequently), so you can get info on weather. For info on Rome (and trains, buses, hotels), look at RonInRome.com

Posted by
2207 posts

Thanks Zoe! George, let me try and take a swing at this. Weather is really hard to determine and quite variable in different parts of Italy. And it did snow last year in late February IN ROME! My friends were out of work and school for an entire week. But that's certainly unusual. Based on my time there, I'd expect temperatures to range from 45- 55' in the Rome area, and then count on it being colder (sometimes much colder) depending on where you are headed up north. If you're headed into the Dolomites DO expect snow! I'd dress in layers and make sure you're clothing (coat) is waterproof. Or bring rain gear. Sometimes in March it does rain. Our first year in Rome, it rained all but 4 days in March. (Of course the next year it rained ONLY 4 days that March!?!). So dress in layers, be ready for rain in the south would be the best advice I could give you. Good Luck!

Posted by
118 posts

In northern Italy, March is a month with varying temperatures. Here in Lombardy, there may already be spring, but it could still be some residue of winter. However, in March of last year the temperatures here ranged from 57°F (average daily) to 77°F.

Posted by
3696 posts

Obviously those who live there have a better idea of weather through the years, but when I was there a few years ago it was rather chilly, and definitely layers are the answer. Also, it was extremely windy a few days, and I could have used an additional scarf, and for sure I used my gloves and hat.

Posted by
15768 posts

If you are lucky, it will be balmy and sunny. But just in case, here are some tips I've adopted after several cold weather visits to Europe. Though it may be milder than home, as a tourist you will be outside for much longer periods of time, or in and out frequently (museums, churches, cafes, etc). If you'll be mostly outside, thermal underthings are great. They don't work as well if you are in and out, since they aren't layers that come off and go back on easily. You are likely to be taking lots of photos and even with warm gloves, hands get cold. Chemical handwarmers are a great thing to warm up icy fingers. You can either put them inside your gloves or just keep them in your pockets. Rain ponchos keep you drier than umbrellas - they will also cover your backpack or handbag and keep your hands free. They also act as windbreakers. When it stops raining, just fold them up inside out and put them in a plastic bag. Do spend a few dollars and get a sturdy one. The flimsy ones won't last. Thick wool socks (over regular cotton ones) will keep feet nice and warm even in very cold weather, and will usually keep your feet dry in rain and snow. I bought great lined leather gloves in the market in Florence and they weren't expensive, but they are very warm.