Please sign in to post.

Plug Adapter

I just received the multi all in one adapter from this website as I am going to London. When I played with it, the only way for my iphone plug to fit into it is if I keep the whole thing intact. Will it work that way? I'm not in London yet. When I break it apart to reveal another US prong, there are 2 notches in the way of the big US plug head (the converter part?)

Posted by
284 posts

The purpose of an adapter is to plug in the US prongs into the adapter, which then has the right prongs to plug into the wall of wherever you are going. What you describe is how it is supposed to work. The part that comes off of an Apple power adapter is just so that you can use the Apple adapters. There's nothing special in that removable part: It's just plastic and metal that can be swapped out. You can even use your adapter with a power cord from your VCR that has the right type of plug (like this: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/312775/C2G-6ft-Non-Polarized-Power-Cord/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=11950B71-5121-DF11-9B13-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=22395426956&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20224360076&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Technology+Networking_Cables-_-312775)

Posted by
32220 posts

Gloria, Are you referring to the Universal European Adaptor that's sold in the Travel Store here? I'm not overly familiar with that product, so I'm not clear on "keeping the whole thing intact" or "breaking it apart". I normally just travel with the cheap and simple Plug Adaptors that are currently on sale on this site for $1 each (I'm using similar Magellans Adaptors that I bought quite a few years ago). If you're only travelling in the U.K., it should be fairly straightforward to just configure the Universal Adaptor for that, and then connect your iPhone Charger to the duplex receptacle on the top. As you're travelling with an iPhone, I assume you've addressed the issue of HUGE data roaming costs. Are you planning to use the phone for calls and texts as well? Which model is it, and which network are you with? Happy travels!

Posted by
9363 posts

There is no "converter part" on what you bought. It is simply a plug adapter, so that your US plug can fit into the UK socket. You will need the large plug face with two horizontal thick blades and a third plastic blade for the UK. Whatever way you need to plug the US plug into that, it will work. The multi adapter contains plug adapters for several systems. You just arrange it so that the one you need is exposed, and plug yours into that.