Please sign in to post.

New York

Ok, ok, I know this is all about Europe...but you Rick Steves travelers always have such good advice...I just have to ask... Travelling to New York City this week and would like some restaurant suggestions.(staying in Midtown, but covering all of Manhattan) Just looking for some "local flavor". My apologies in advance if I have offended anyone with this request :) I'll be back with my Germany/ Austria questions in a month or so...

Posted by
115 posts

Try the Basilica at 676 9th Ave in the theatre district. Small & cozy with great prices for NYC. A friend recommended it & was great! It is reviewed on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
10120 posts

Peruvian Chinese on the upper west side:Flor de Mayo. Menu and customers are extremely varied. Famous for its chicken.

Posted by
2347 posts

I think Basicila is closed. Try Katz's Deli, can't remember address but am sure is midtown. Avoid Mama Leone's. Palm Tree is great if you have money. You must try lunch from a food truck, they are good, cheap for lunch. Are you there on vacation or business?

Posted by
2347 posts

Michael is correct on location, so take subway down, it is still in Manhatten! There is another famous deli in mid-town but can't remember name, that is probably one I was thinking about. I love the food, especially bagels, cheesecake and New York Egg Cream. Whichever deli you go to be prepared for large sandwiches, enjoy.

Posted by
32173 posts

Nancy, If your budget is able to manage a "splurge", have a look at the famous Delmonico's Restaurant (56 Beaver Street). This is the original property, not associated with the Emeril's restaurants of the same name. The restaurant has hosted some notable guests over the years, some of which you can see on THIS website. Buon Appetito!

Posted by
68 posts

I thank all of you so much for your suggestions. We will be there on a little vacation. I used to work for the company that sponsered the Rockerfeller Center Tree and every year I was lucky enough to be invited to attend the tree lighting ceremony...the only problem is my husband never got to attend with me.Now that I no longer work for the company,I can travel with my husband! I am excited to have more time to visit all the sights and enjoy the great food.
Thanks again!

Posted by
68 posts

Ken, Delmonicos sounds great...I have been to a Delmonicos in Las Vegas, not sure if they are the same. Checked the website and it looks perfect. I made reservations for Saturday! Thanks so much!

Posted by
8094 posts

Katz is an incredible place to eat. Another is the Carnagie Deli just south of Central Park. There are literally thousands of places to eat in Manhatten. See the Village Voice online for suggestions. I try not to plan ahead for a fine restaurant when in The City. I'll always find an excuse to eat a much cheaper meal in Little Italy or Chinatown at lunch. We Southerners drink "sweet tea" at every meal. In New York, they charge by the glass. One time, my tea bill was more than my food meal. Just wanted to warn you.

Posted by
32173 posts

Nancy, It's great to hear that you got reservations at Delmonico's so quickly. I haven't dined there yet, so post a report after your visit to let us know how you enjoyed it. I hope to get there eventually (maybe I'll win the Lottery this week). The Delmonico Restaurant in the Venetian in Las Vegas is one of Emeril's properties. I have dined there.

Posted by
1068 posts

Ex-New Yorker here, and I suggest a deli pilgrimage! Katz's is at 205 E. Houston, and is wonderful. Russ and Daughters Appetizing (179 E. Houston) is amazing, and IMHO better than Katz's. It's also less famous, so it is less crammed with tourists. At Russ and Daughters try the Boychick - sable AND salmon on a toasted bialy. MOUTH WATERING. And get the bialy, not a bagel. At Katz's, a giant pastrami sandwich with a Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda is de rigeur. The Carnegie Deli has great classic deli food, too, although they can ladle on the schtick with a trowel. You will want to get a slice. Of pizza. My favorite "utility slice" (phrase stolen from Tony Bourdain) is at St. Mark's Pizza, 83 St. Marks Place. This is NOT fancy yupscale pizza. It's basic, thin, perfect street pizza, with orange grease. VERY local flavor. The decor hasn't changed since the 1980s, and that is a good thing! For a romantic dinner, try John's of East 12th (302 East 12th St.). It's an old school red sauce Italian place that serves ROCKIN' Spedino Mozzarella Romano (bread stuffed with mozz, deep fried and served with anchovy sauce - OMG!) and has great ambiance. Also has a vegan menu! And probably not a tourist in sight. In midtown, for a nice pub meal and no attitude, try McHale's, at 251 W. 51st St. It started life as a hang-out for theatre folks, and is still a nice local joint that's close to midtown tourist stuff, but won't break the bank. Excellent burgers. If you like Maryland blue crab, try City Crab, at 235 Park Avenue South. The rest of the menu is just fine - but you don't go here for anything except all-you-can-eat crabs, boiled to perfection, and served with drawn butter. Heaven! (The all-you-can-eat special is once a week, so call ahead and check.)

Posted by
565 posts

"Cuba" in the Village. Excellent Cuban food with live music. Pretty much anywhere on Ninth Avenue (Restaurant Row) in Hell's Kitchen. You can find sushi, Mexican, pizza, Italian, New American, craft beer, and a lot more. Lots of places have pre-show specials.

Posted by
5678 posts

Here are some places that I've found in the last 18 months in NYC. Cafe Joule and Bistro Vendome at First and 58th. Then La Mangeoire--French Provincial Food on Second near 53rd. The Comfort Diner is a favorite in my office on 45th between third and second. And for Japanese Food we like the Sakagura. It's always packed with Japanese. I may have more later.

Posted by
4137 posts

Nancy, some great ideas already but as a lifelong New Yorker , here are two more .For real cantonese chinese food it's Hop-Kee at 21 Mott Street in Chinatown . It's easy to reach via the downtown Lexington Avenue train. The restaurant is downstairs at the corner of Mott and Mosco Streets. BE SURE to order from the chinese menu ( now translated into English ) for dishes like pan fried flounder with ginger and scallions , or Steak with chinese broccoli , and Singapore chow mei fun ( curry noodle dish ) . Don't order the gringo stuff like wonton soup or sweet and sour pork !! This is chinese like you've never had ! The place is legendary among Broadway theater musicians ( my job for many years ) . Also for great stuff to take back to the hotel , go to Zabar's at Broadway and 80th Street ( uptown #1 train - west side ,station 79st ) A huge variety of smoked fish , like Russ and Daughters , and a great selection of first rate prepared dishes . If you go to the fish counter, see if Jerry is there to slice fish for you , although all the guys behind the counter are great . By the way . kudos to Kira about getting a Bialy if you go to Russ , They are made a few blocks away at Kossar's on Grand Street ( the only true bialy bakery left in the World ) Kira ,there is a wonderful book about this called " The Bialy Eaters ; the story of a lost bread and a lost world " by Mimi Sheraton , former food writer for the NY Times . Enjoy NY , The most exciting city in the world ( after Paris !!)

Posted by
818 posts

My favorite place is Hallo Berlin on 44th and 10th - GREAT lunch speacial until 4:00. Hallo Berlin also has a lunch cart on 54th and 5th (long line). I love German places - another fun one is Zum Schneider on Avenue @ and 7th Street. In the Village (and i know I am focusing on beer here!) is Vol de Nuit - on West 4th - great Belgium beer and frites (don't know if they have regular menu. Lunch - Thai - Topaz on West 56th between 6th and 7th - gets crowded but really tasty lunch specials. Crowded Japanese noodle place - cash only Men Kui Tei - 60 West 56th Street. Love the Jar Jar Ramen. Definitely go to Chinatown for dim sum or just to wander. www.yelp.com has good suggestions. Expensive Mexican (though from California you might not be impressed) Rosa Mexicano - great guac and they have a few locations. Have fun! Beautiful weather today - go to Central Park Zoo - i can see the Polar Bears out frolicking and skaters skating. Fifth Ave will be CRAZY this afternoon - I THINK it is Christmas tree lighting at Rock Center (could be wrong about that) http://www.voldenuitbar.com/ http://www.zumschneider.com/ http://www.halloberlinrestaurant.com/

Posted by
68 posts

Dear Posters...I am just amazed at the fantastic suggestions you have all so thoughtfully posted. Thank you so much! I am so excited to visit New York this time of year and you have all given me some great places to look forward to. I considered canceling the trip after Sandy, but everything I have heard and read suggests that would be a mistake...New York is alive and well. Thank you for sharing your great city and spirit with all of us tourists :)

Posted by
818 posts

Zum Schmeider is on Avenue C not Agenue @ ... Have fun. They don't call it the greatest city on earth for nothing .

Posted by
5678 posts

By all means come. There are still places in NY and NJ that are still strongly dealing with Sandy, but for the most part they are not places that you would visit. I had family visiting over Thanksgiving and sadly, the planned visit to see the space shuttle did not happen. THey hope to reopen later this month. The South Seaport Museum is still closes as was the Tenement Museum. Just double check before you make a trek to any sights downtown. They are re-opening, but while Con Ed has restored power, individual buildings sometimes don't have power as their basements and thus the electrical equipment flooded. And, of course, the Rockaways, parts of Queens and Brooklyn and Staten Island are very much struggling. But come, enjoy the rest of NYC. Pam

Posted by
1806 posts

As Kira mentioned, Russ & Daughters. But skip Carnegie Deli. Eisenberg's Sandwich Shop - great egg creams. Crif Dogs for cheap and quick eats. Eleven Madison Park or WD=50 if you can get a last minute reservation and can write it off on the corporate charge card (or if you just want to splurge and go all out for one meal). Candle 79 - yes, it's vegetarian, but I regularly eat meat and I loved it. Prune - very small restaurant so it can get quite loud in there, but the food more than makes up for the temporary hearing loss. And at least 1 classic cocktail over at Bemelmens Bar at The Carlyle Hotel (check out the wall murals painted by the same guy who did the "Madeline" children's books).

Posted by
4137 posts

Nancy , Ceidleh brings up a great point. Go to Bemelman's Bar at the Carlyle Hotel at 76 -77 st on Madison Avenue to see the Madeline murals . Even if you don't have anything , you can wander in and look at them , no one is likely to stop you . They are one of the hidden artistic treasures of NYC . Upper Madison to Fifth ave. 62 -96 st on the upper east side is the most European section of the city . This area is home to museum mile with the Metropolitan Museum of Art , the neue galerie , Guggenheim . the Frick and many others. Lots of great food options as you can see , but don't forget that food for the mind and spirit is equally important . If you can , look for a collection of Ludwig Bemelmans' memoirs titled " Tell them it was Wonderful" as well as the Madeline books ! it is , indeed wonderful . PS Where is Harold from NYC ? He would have some great suggestions . Try to PM him for more!!!

Posted by
2347 posts

Must go to Grand Central Station, understand they have a food court downstairs, have not seen that but the station is inspiring!

Posted by
1068 posts

Oh yes - Grand Central Station! They have an awesome and expensive market, a great liquor store, a giant food court, and the Oyster Bar! It's kind of like a Seafood Cathedral. Since you will likely be taking the subway, you might as well grab some ersters in that veritable temple to urban, sophisticated slurping! http://www.oysterbarny.com/

Posted by
3049 posts

This since is New York, and not say, Europe, use web research to find really good restaurants locals eat at and avoid the tourist stuff. Yeah, the Carnegie Deli is an institution, but it's expensive for what it is and touristy as all get-out at this point. There's a million good delis in NYC, no reason to go there. New York probably has more info on the web about where to eat than any city on the planet. This isn't a particularly 'foodie' minded board, so I'd do your research elsewhere tbh.

Posted by
818 posts

While no foodie - I live to be able to make suggestions about my own stomping grounds for once!

Posted by
818 posts

While no foodie - I live to be able to make suggestions about my own stomping grounds for once!

Posted by
964 posts

La Ripaille on Hudson Street. Lovely food and ambience. And not wildly expensive either, as I recall. It's independently owned - I think they have a website where you can check the menu.