Please sign in to post.

Iceland Itinerary and Car Rental Question

I am going to Iceland Dec 14- 18th and wanted to know if I am a fast walker and want to take photos of these places (see below) what could I combined together to see (similar locations and should I stay somewhere central to these spots or in which locations? Also doesn't Iceland have laws regarding winter and roads with a rental car. What kind of rental car do I have to get to see these places and which roads can I use in December using a rental car automatic? - Baths: Blue Lagoon > Side Trip: Gullfoss & Hraunfossar, > Side Trip: Seljalandsfoss & Skógarfoss Waterfall > Side Trip: Godafoss Waterfalls
> Side Tour: Dynjandi (Fjallfoss) Waterfall

Posted by
4151 posts

My husband has Icelandic heritage and we spent way too little time there on a stopover in 2009. Enjoy every minute you have. The place is fascinating. Be sure to plan for many luxurious hours at the Blue Lagoon, including a massage while floating in the water. I trust you know that in December there will only be about 5 hours of daylight each day with the sun rising around 10:45 am and setting around 3:45 pm. If you haven't already done so, you might want to check Scantours Iceland (http://www.scantours.net/products/region/iceland/36/). Their canned tour itineraries could give you an idea of how long it will take to do some of the things you mention. They have some self-drive winter tours that require 4WD vehicles. They also have canned winter tours (http://www.scantours.net/products/category/iceland-winter-tours/119/) and there's a link about renting cars. This website might answer most of your current questions and be a good place to ask more.

Posted by
31 posts

Dan, I'm only familiar with Gullfossbut it is spectacular! I would highly recommend. I would give you a word of caution about renting a car. Be sure you lie down on the ground and look UNDER the car for any damage before you leave the rental agency. They are very, very picky about damage to the underside of their cars (due to all the bad roads where rentals are not allowed.) We got hit with a $600 bill to fix 2 or 3 small scratches on the underside of the front bumper. Not sure if we made them (maybe on a curb) or not?
Enjoy Iceland!