Please sign in to post.

Phone in Europe?

I am going to be in Europe this coming Spring for 3 months. Any advice on what kind of phone to bring? Iphone? Cheap phone only used as needed?

Posted by
32322 posts

Kirstin, To begin with, be sure that you don't stay longer than 3 months, or you'll exceed the terms of the Schengen Visa for tourists. In order to provide information on the phone, it would help to know whether you currently have a cell phone and if so which network you're with? Also, what type of uses do you have in mind - short voice calls, text messages or other? Finally, will you be mostly in one country or travelling throughout Europe? If travelling with a Smartphone such as an iPhone, you'll have to consider the question of data roaming, which can be VERY expensive. Good luck with your planning!

Posted by
9369 posts

Kirstin, there are many, many threads here about phone options for Europe (it's a common question). You can just scroll down and find several of them, or use the search box and you will get more opinions and options than you can imagine. The best option for you will depend entirely on how you plan to use the phone (calls to US? long calls? emergencies only?) and what other technology you will have with you (will you have computer access or an iPod Touch so you could use Skype?). Most likely, the cheapest, easiest option will be to buy a PAYG phone once you arrive. You can add minutes anytime you get low. But your situation might call for a different option.

Posted by
1152 posts

Kirstin, here are a few message threads with some information that might help you make a decision. Cell phones in Europe for extended trip Mobile phones Long term cell phone question We really need to know what kind of usage you plan to do with the phone to give you specific replies. I won't travel without a smartphone, but I use it to access the Internet for email and other purposes and I'm careful about watching my data usage so I don't get hit with big bills from my U.S. carrier. I use a prepaid U.K. SIM to get data overseas that I don't get over a wifi connection. If these links don't answer your questions, please post again and we'll try to help.

Posted by
1167 posts

If you click on the Travel Tips tab at the top left of this page you will find a section on Communications that should give you tons of information.

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks for the info and links to the other phone question threads. Right now I have Verizon and while I'm in Europe I mainly would want to be in contact with my family, but if I take my laptop then I would be able to skype which would probably be my main source of communication with them. I also would want a phone to contact friends or people I stay with in Europe. I'm planning on couch surfing at least part of the time while I travel and so I would like to be able to contact the people I stay with in case I get lost or will arrive later than planned, etc.

Posted by
8299 posts

Like has been said, phones are a subject addressed elsewhere on RickSteves.com and many other websites. Verizon phones don't work in Europe. AT&T can unlock their GSM phones and you can buy a SIMS card in each country you travel. (My Italian SIMS card didn't work, and their trouble line was only in Italian.) You can use any AT&T GSM phone over there. They charge something like $5.99 per month, and $.99 per minutepretty expensive. Another option is to get a laptop or note book hooked to a WIFI system and plug in a MagicJack. Calls are then free. I just communicated through laptop with family. And I actually enjoyed not having a voice phone for a couple of weeks.

Posted by
3050 posts

It's a good idea to be able to use a phone if you're couchsurfing. As someone who's hosted and surfed, being able to easily call without needing to find wifi was invaluable. So for your purposes I'd just buy a cheap "burner" phone when you get to Europe, and purchase a different prepaid SIM card in each different country. It's not fancy but it's cheap and efficient.

Posted by
2193 posts

I won't go into all of the phone options, since that info has been heavily covered elsewhere on the Helpline ad nauseam. Skype is awesome for video (free) or for cheap calling when video isn't an option. There are many cool, free apps for your smartphone (or iPod, iPad, or other mobile device) that allow you to talk and text for free. I've used KakaoTalk for about a year now...success in three different continents. The folks you're communicating with will also need to download the app. You can be on Wi-Fi, but they don't need to be. It's all free. You don't have to be on Wi-Fi, but then you sort of lose the benefit of the service being free when you're out of network. Again, you can call or text, and you can even text with up to four (I think) people simultaneously in a chat session. There are other apps, and there's FaceTime for iPhone. Anyway, it's a newer app that I have used and like alot...might work for others.

Posted by
9369 posts

"Verizon phones don't work in Europe"
Not true. There are several phone options available from Verizon, including a loaner program (though you can only borrow a phone for 30 days - not workable for your trip). Most Verizon phones won't work, but an increasing number are "world" phones (GSM).

Posted by
12313 posts

I used two "phones" on our last trip. I packed my Ipod touch and loaded Skype before the trip - for calls home. On arrival, I bought a cheap phone at a local store. The phone was 25 euros, including 10 euro call credit. Calls were 8 cents a minute. We spent our entire time in one country, so all calls on the phone were local calls. It gets a little more complicated when you are touring multiple countries. You then have to decide what type of Sim card gets you the best overall deal. One card that is local in one country, but roaming everywhere else. One card for each country (mostly used up before exiting each country). One card that covers multiple countries, but more expensive per minute in every country. Using your phone from home on international calling. I lean toward local calls so option one or two usually seem best for me, but you have to weigh it based on your expected use. The calls home with Skype was ideal, we set it up to call land line phones (with a ten dollar deposit) and didn't come close to using the initial deposit.