Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help/Suggestions

This is our first time visiting Europe and we want to make the most of it. We are flying in and out of London. As far as things we really want to do, I think we have Paris planned out for the most part. However, suggestions on "must see" things in Italy would be helpful. We want to visit so many places in Italy but only have so much time to work with. I've read some things that say skip Verona, however it looks pretty cool to us and we don't really want to cut the 1 day in Venice short. We were also hoping to do a day trip to Tuscany at some point, but I think that might be overly ambitious. We both love getting to see lots of things/places, but I am worried we'll be spending too much time on trains and not enough time "experiencing". We greatly appreciate any help/tips! Thanks so much! Here is our itinerary thus far: Day 1: Arrive in London (Hotel booked) Day 2: Depart London via train; Arrive in Paris (hotel booked) Day 3: Paris (hotel booked, celebrating a birthday this day too!) Day 4: Paris Day 5: Paris Day 6: Depart Paris; Arrive Monte Carlo, Monaco Day 7: Depart Monaco; Arrive in Venice Day 8: Depart Venice; Arrive in Verona Day 9: Depart Verona; Arrive in Rome Day 10: Rome Day 11: Rome Day 12: Rome Day 13: Depart Rome; travel to London (train? plane?) Day 14: London Day 15: London
Day 16: Departure for home Open to changing places/dates in Italy also open to maybe swapping out Monaco for something else?

Posted by
8 posts

@Laura That is a very good point. I think 3 one-nighters in a row is going to be too much. One of us is dying to go to Monaco and the other Verona lol. Does the weather make a difference? It will be winter time. I am definitely considering flying back from Rome(had no clue about open jaws tickets!! wish I had before I had booked the flight to/from Lodnon). My only worry is that is the end of our trip, and I have a feeling we'll already be pushing it with luggage weight. Thank you for your suggestions! @TC We're going to consider skipping Monte Carlo. I like the idea of 3 days in each place. I think we could get up early one morning and do a 1/2 day in Verona if we wanted to? Looks like its not too far away. Thank you! @Sam That is a great idea. I am worried we will have too much luggage.. But I guess that is something I can work on now! @Pat Our plan was to take the train. I didn't see many options as far as flying to/from Monaco. I wish there were, I think that would make travelling a lot easier. Thank you for your suggestions!

Posted by
20958 posts

I would consider doing 2 nights in Venice and leave out Verona. Venice will be your most expensive lodging, but once you get there, I think you'll wish you had more time. I'd look for a cheap flight Rome to London, and even possibly from Paris to Venice and doing 3 days there. So many choices, so little time.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for your suggestion! It is way too little time, but it's what we have to work with lol. Do you think doing a quick day trip to Verona one of the days we're in Venice would work? As cheesy as it is, we both want to see the Romeo and Juliet stuff.

Posted by
5790 posts

One night stays are difficult. You've got 3 in a row with several long train legs so I'd make some changes there. I'd suggest that you skip Monaco. Instead, fly from Paris to Venice and spend 3 nights in Venice. If you want to visit Verona, you can easily do that as a day trip from Venice. Alternatively 2 nights in Venice and 1 in Verona would work. I'd also suggest that you fly from Rome back to London. The train journey would be 15 to 20 hours. It sounds as though you have already booked a round trip ticket to London. If you have not, then I'd suggest that you fly "open jaws" into London and home from Rome to save some travel time.

Posted by
5142 posts

You might want to skip Monte Carlo. It is a long way to go for such a short stay and then a long way again to Venice. You can use that time in Venice. Verona is ok, but it is not worth giving up a day in Venice. That would give you 3 days in Paris, 3 in Venice, 3 in Rome, and a total of 3 in London and 4 days for travel in between. Just my thoughts. Hope they help. TC

Posted by
20958 posts

How about on the day you leave Venice, travel to Verona in the afternoon, store luggage at a station locker, spend the rest of the afternoon exploring Verona, then travel on to Rome in the evening. There is a direct train at 18:55.

Posted by
11507 posts

Ok, so you will leave Paris and arrive in Monaco, you will have one evening there and then you leave next day?? Are you flying or taking the train? One night stays are rather a waste of time and money in my opinion .A two night stay gives a person one whole day in a destination, Venice deserves more then 1/2 a day,, skip Monaco. From Rome to London you have to consider flying a train would take way too long! Look at Easyjet or Vueling. Book train tickets well in advance for best rates.

Posted by
5142 posts

Sarah, Verona can be done as a day trip from Venice. If memory serves correctly it is only about a 45 min. train ride. Get an early morning start and you can see most of the biggies in Verona, have lunch and be back in Venice by early or mid afternoon. We've spent a good bit of time in both places so let us know if you need specific info. TC

Posted by
10545 posts

Venice is expensive. Rather than spending an entire day in Verona, just to return to Venice and have a 3rd expensive hotel night there, I would consider spending 2 nights in Venice and then one night in Verona. A hotel or B&B will cost less in Verona, plus you save on not having to take the train back to Venice. You can head to Rome from there. I would definitely skip Monaco for such a short trip. You can fly from Paris to Venice, train to Verona and then train on to Rome. Fly from Rome to London.

Posted by
11507 posts

|If taking train you will use whole day in travel from Paris to Monaco, its then truly only a dinner and evening visit. You will leave next am for Venice. Is it really worth it?

Posted by
4132 posts

Even before I read the advice of others, I was thinking that Monaco/Monte Carlo is (1) devilish awkward in this itinerary and (2) not in the same class as your other destinations. Hard to avoid the conclusion that you'd have a better trip if you skip it. There is a night train again from Paris to Venice but your itinerary is so tight you should fly. Do not even consider going by land from Rome to London, either.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you all very much!! This has been incredibly helpful! We are going to skip Monaco for (hopefully) another trip one day. My only concern about flying places is the luggage restrictions. I just weighed by suitcase tonight and it alone was 25lbs.. so I think I will be looking into getting a new one before the trip.

Posted by
10545 posts

Your empty suitcase weighs 25 lbs? Yikes!! Is it made of lead? I agree that an new, lightweight suitcase would be a good purchase.