Please sign in to post.

When To Book Hotel?

When should I start booking hotels? We are going to a few different cities (Paris, Rome, Venice, Munich, etc.) in September and I'm not sure how to make a planning timeline! I know that earlier is better, but when am I cutting it too close? Thanks!!

Posted by
7209 posts

We're going to Paris, Rome, Munich in June 2008, and I booked all of my hotels 3 months ago.

Posted by
479 posts

IMO, in June it's never too early to book. Book it now, and then you won't have to worry about it for the rest of your planning. The only bad part about booking it early is that you might want to change plans later only to find that it's going to cost money to get out of your reservation.

If you're going between Labor Day and Memorial Day (in that order) then you can walk in to town and get a hotel room just about anywhere. Although this does not apply if there is a major festival going on. Make sure you check the local calendar.

Posted by
934 posts

I also like to book early.That way you get the best places.I always ask what the cancellation policy is and they tell me in a email.Then I know when I can cancell.I have found most are 24 hrs to 3 days but a few are longer.just ask them.

Posted by
9363 posts

Start booking as soon as you know when you will be in each city. It's not too early to book in any of those cities for September. Just make sure that you know their cancellation policies so that you won't get penalized if your plans change before your trip.

Posted by
712 posts

I agree with Nancy. We started planning and booking in late June for September and so many of the places I emailed were already booked. Look and decided now if you can.

Posted by
21 posts

Samantha -

I will be staying in Rome the second week of April, and I booked my hotel back in October 2007. The place is highly rated by Rick, and has impeccable reviews from former guests on TripAdvisor.com.

Make your reservations when you have firmed up your travel dates. I would say you are cutting it too close if you haven't made reservations by August.