Please sign in to post.

lodging question

I am going to be traveling in Europe with my daughter (who is stationed in Germany) through several countries in October. I have been searching hotels and hostels for the best deals. My question is, should I book my rooms now in advance, or should I wait until I get there? I've heard some people say I can get a better deal if I just book direct plus it will is better to wait and see it in person. Thanks in advance for your help! Traci here is my schedule: Ireland (oct 6 - 8) Germany (oct 8 -11) Italy (Oct. 11 - 13) England (oct 13 - 16)
It is a quick trip, I know, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
1568 posts

It appears you have 10 days on the ground. With you itinerary listed you will spend most of your time traveling. Ireland is a very long way from Germany. Germany is quite a ways from Italy. Italy is a long way from England. Have you purchased your tickets yet? Where are you flying into and where are you flying out of?

Posted by
8732 posts

Countless trips abroad, usually pre booked. The exception was Ireland.Tons of B & B's through out Eire and N.Ireland to chose from. On my October visit I'd simply arrive in a town, city or village before sunset (and days are getting shorter in October) and look for the brown signs outside homes and buildings. If I saw a property I liked, I'd stop, knock on the door, ask if they were still accepting lodgings and then ask for an ensuite room. Never turned away. Would also help us advise you dependent upon if you're visiting ONLY cities. BTW B and B's in Europe are not the over priced yuppified enclaves found here in the states. Much cheaper and a lovely way to feel secure, meet people and learn about the area from the homeowner. Firm believer in the airbnb website with this caveat. Review only properties that have reviews AND a picture of the owner. When contact is made ask numerous questions. How close to the train station are you? How many stairs? Do you have WiFi? Can I have the exact address of the property? This helps when you Google map using the satellite view to check out the neighborhood. Also helps eliminate any property when the owner won't give this to you! Wear a money belt. Pack light. Dress in layers. Wear worn in shoes and enjoy your time with your daughter.

Posted by
32932 posts

It seems to me that you have allowed 2 nights (one day) per country, with the third being an overlap for travel. Is that right? If so, can I suggest you try to limit yourself to one city per country as trying to see more than that may be a little difficult? Had you considered which cities in each of these countries to see with you daughter?

Posted by
638 posts

As someone else mentioned all these places are far from each other, basically you'll only be seeing these four countries for 1 day, and what cities in each country do you plan on visiting, it's difficult to answer your quesition without knowing exactly where you'll be. Even if you do this you'll be doing a lot of back tracking. If your daughter is already in Germany why don't you start there? And with Ireland and England being next to each other why don't you have them back to back? Now, it's a double edged sword so to speak, if you don't have some type of reservation that will eat into the first day in each place, and being this is an unrealistic travel plan you might not want to be locked into anything in regards to reservations. I think you should drop Italy altogether.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for all the replies. I probably should have been a little more specific on the travel times. We have already purchased our flights for our travel w/in Europe. Here it is a little better. I arrive in dublin at 8:45 am on Oct. 6. My daughter and I plan to catch a train to Cork as soon as we land and see the sights around there. So we will need to find lodging in Cork for the night of the 6th. On the 7th we will take the train back to Dublin and stay there the night of the 7th and then we fly to Germany at 8:45 the night of the 8th. We will land in Germany that night and spend the night at my daughter's place. She has a car, so we will drive ourselves while there and we plan to go to Munich and stay there the night of the 9th. On the 10th we will drive to Frankfurt and stay there that night because our flight to rome leaves at 6 am on the 11th. We land in Rome at 8:15 am and we fly out of Rome at 10 pm on the 13th. While I am in Rome, I want to take a trip to Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast. I hope we can fit it all in! We land in London the night of the 13th and I fly back to Dublin on the evening of the 16th for my return trip home. So I need to find lodging for: Oct. 6th - cork, Ireland Oct. 7th - Dubline Oct. 9th Munich Oct. 10th Frankfurt Oct. 11th & 12th Rome (or surrounding area...rome one night and somewhere else the next night maybe?) Oct. 13 - 15th London
Oct. 16 - Dublin Do I book now? Wait until we get there? Also, what do you recommend for Rome?

Posted by
9363 posts

Do you have some particular reason for choosing Cork, of all places? If it were me, I would choose Galway and surrounds. In October you should find no shortage of places to stay. I wouldn't worry about booking ahead.