Please sign in to post.

International phone

Whats the best way to get a phone for calling home? What do you think of moDal or mobal?

Posted by
32322 posts

Deanna, The "best way to get a phone" differs somewhat depending on individual circumstances. It would help to have a bit more information on your situation. Do you currently have a phone, and if so which network are you with? What type of phone are you currently using? What type of calling do you anticipate doing in Europe? In addition to Mobal, there are a number of other "travel phone" firms. You could check the websites for Roam Simple, Cellular Abroad, Call In Europe, EuroBuzz, Telestial, TruPhone or BrightRoam to get some idea in the price differences. Cheers!

Posted by
9369 posts

As Ken said, the best option is going to depend on how you intend to use your phone. I keep a Eurobuzz SIM in my dual-SIM phone because the number is permanent. It's the number someone could always reach me on in an emergency. But for cheaper calling, I buy a local SIM card. I used Mobal in the past (Eurobuzz is their cheaper brother), and I found call quality and ease of use to be excellent. On some trips, I have taken it and never used it. But if you intend to make frequent or lengthy calls to the US, it isn't the cheapest option.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, all.
I plan to use it on a Mediterranean cruise and in Rome for five days to call home every day (15) for 5 minutes. I'll check out the cheaper brother.

Posted by
32322 posts

Deanna, Thanks for the additional information. One important point to mention though. Whichever travel phone service you choose, BE SURE to check their rates when roaming from a Cruise Ship as that's often considerably more expensive than calling from land locations. I'd have to do some research to get more specific information. Cheers!

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks, everybody. Turns Out my sis has computer with international phone service! Problem solved.