Please sign in to post.

Ireland with kids

Hi, I am trying to plan a vacation for 4 adults and 2 kids ages 6 and 9 for summer of 2013. We are thinking Italy or Ireland only because those are places that first came to mind. Would like to spend approximately 10 days. Two adults have been to Italy before (Rome, Tuscany, Venice) and neither of us to Ireland. If Italy, we were thinking either Positano area and then up to Tuscany or Umbria or Cinque Terra area. If Ireland, we are not sure where to go or stay. Does anyone have any input as to which is the better option considering time of year we plan to go, we will be with young kids, and will need to rent as opposed to staying in hotels? Would appreciate any input. Thank you!!

Posted by
3696 posts

I would opt for Italy only because it is one of my favorite places and I think you will have a better chance of having nice summer weather (maybe too hot) for the kids. I would opt for a place in the Tuscan countryside and take day trips... but since you have been there I would choose somplace that none of you have been to, like possibly the south of France. You could start a few days in Paris, take the fast train to the south, rent a car and stay in a wonderful french village... you could visit lots of markets, the Carmague, the sea as well as plenty of museums and down time to just enjoy France.

Posted by
2373 posts

Although we really loved Positano, my granddaughter wss bored to tears. Yes the kids can go swimming but there is really nothing else for kids to do there. They certainly will not appreciate the scenery much. As previous poster said, try a country none of you have been to before and look into staying at a place that is a working farm, the kids might enjoy that.

Posted by
3 posts

France was one of the places I had in mind, however, friends coming with prefer someplace else. My other thought was the Italian lake region but do not know of areas to stay. Idea of a working farm sounds fun. Do you know of any in particular? Maybe I can talk everyone into going to France but might not be easy to do.

Posted by
1 posts

I'm going to toss out Ireland suggestions. We travel in Ireland with our kids quite often and they have a great time (they are now 6 & 8 and have been visiting since they were each 1). 2013 is "The Gathering" in Ireland, a big campaign to bring people to Ireland, so you'll find plenty of festivals and such, in addition to the magic of Ireland. In Ireland you'll find that B&Bs are a friendly and affordable option, and the owners will help guide you, should you have any questions. Cork, Kerry and Clare, ie: the Sunny Southwest, is a great area for a first visit to Ireland. Castles, beaches, dramatic cliffs... it's incredibly lovely. Venture in to Limerick, near Bruff, and you'll find Lough Gur- filled with Ireland's most mystical tales and magic. Really, you can't go wrong in Ireland. I would be happy to help you with any specifics- I didn't want to go in to too much detail here.

Posted by
9363 posts

I would definitely go with Ireland for kids. I would also second the suggestion of the southwest area. Fly into Shannon and explore the western coast - Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Aillwee Cave, Killarney, Blarney Castle. Kids aren't so appreciative of nice scenery, they want to DO things. There is a subset of B&Bs called Farmhouse B&Bs, all working farms. We have stayed on a sheep farm (where the kids got to hold new lambs), a farm with cattle, and a farm where they raised and trained jumping horses. The Irish tourism website, www.discoverireland.com, has a listing, and there is a directory available. I have never seen anyone suggest Limerick before. I found it to be dirty and full of traffic.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am definitely going to check them out and will get back to you with questions, I'm sure! :)