Please sign in to post.

cell phone service

which cell phone company is best for europe

Posted by
9369 posts

Please use the search function here to find lots and lots of recent threads about cell service options. If you are already in Europe, what do you use? I would say that there is no one company that everyone thinks is the best. It all depends on the circumstances of your trip and how you intend to use your phone.

Posted by
1152 posts

I suggest comparing the roaming costs of any of the carriers that are available in the U.K. I've had good luck with T-Mobile U.K., but I suspect the other carriers are just as good. Anyway, bottom line is I'd stick with a carrier you can get in Scotland. Now if you were asking about one of the travel phone firms that sells a one-SIM works all over Europe at fixed rates, I'm not sure. There are a number of companies that sell that service. Others have used them and I suspect will contribute their views. Are you interested in anything besides phone service? That is, are you asking about possible data use? If so, my first answer still stands.

Posted by
32322 posts

bradly, It would help if you could provide some further information. Are you asking which is the best U.K. firm for roaming in Europe? It would also help to know if you presently have a Cellphone, and if so which network you're with? Are you using a Smartphone which requires access to cellular data? If you presently have a Cellphone, roaming with your home network is probably the easiest solution. Roaming rates have been "capped" by the E.U. so the costs are more reasonable than they once were. However, data roaming can still be an issue, so that's something you'll need to look at carefully. If you're roaming with your home network, you'll probably find that your phone switches networks randomly, depending on which country you're in (that's been my experience). Cheers!

Posted by
290 posts

Here in Italy I use TIM, and they always have promotions for various "roaming" packages (i.e. using it beyond Italy). Right now I have one set up so that I can use it both in the US and in Europe for basically the same price per minute as I have in Italy, except there is also a connection fee (whereas when I call in Italy there is not; I am talking about the so-called "scatto alla risposta"). So in this case it is only nominally more expensive to use it basically anywhere in the United States or Europe when I am traveling. So I would check with whatever carrier you have now in Scotland and see what kind of deals they can give you on using your phone throughout Europe.