Please sign in to post.

3 Days in Italy

I am taking my two teenage daughters to Europe next summer and we will have three nights to spend in Italy (a place they really want to visit). Any suggestions on the best place to visit, Rome, Florence, or Venice?? Thank you!

Posted by
3696 posts

Which place in Italy do they really want to visit? They are all very different, and all great. Will you have a car? On the rest of the trip are you doing all large cities? If so I might opt for a Tuscan village with a day trip to Florence.

Posted by
3696 posts

Which place in Italy do they really want to visit? They are all very different, and all great. Will you have a car? On the rest of the trip are you doing all large cities? If so I might opt for a Tuscan village with a day trip to Florence.

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks for your response! We will be taking the train. I know each one offers its own uniqueness and that's what makes the decision so hard. We will also be visiting Muerren and Prague. Our destinations require long train travel so I was thinking maybe Northern Italy but I would like to visit a place that girls, their age (15 & 17), would find fun and exciting.

Posted by
101 posts

Since you have teenage girls, I vote for Venice. Also because it's in Northern Italy. You would spend more time traveling to Rome. 3 days in Venice is just right. The water taxis, vaparettos and endless canals make Venice a fun place for teens and kids. You could take a tour of Murano island to see how the glass is made. Plan a day getting lost in Venice and finding your way back to your hotel. There is pretty good shopping in Venice too, I'm sure they will make a beeline for the H&M. Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Posted by
8675 posts

Agree with Jessica. Venice. Nothing like it in the world. Get St. Mark's et al, out of the way on day one. Days two and three exploring the back canals, east end and other islands. I'm sure they'll love the gondoliers and shopping for Venetian masks.

Posted by
6898 posts

Are you visiting Murren and Prague before or after Italy? The train journey from Venice to Muerren is about 8.0hrs. If you are going from Venice to Muerren, the Italian ticket agents can't see Muerren on their screens. It's not a problem; you just have to be aware of it and what to do about it. Been there done that. You might also want to know that the 15-year old can travel free throughout Switzerland in the company of a parent with a valid ticket. To do this, you buy your Swiss ticket in advance and ask for the free family card. This won't work for the 17-year old.

Posted by
49 posts

We just got back from Italy with our two teens (one boy/one girl) and the place they loved the best was Rome. Lots of street life, lots of young people, loved hanging out in the piazzas in Trastevere having gelato and watching the scene, loved the ancient Roman history everywhere. The Forum was their favorite historic site, but they liked all the "small" sites we ran across just walking around the city. They liked Venice, but didn't love it. Not as much street life, not as much ancient history (which they've studied in school). It just didn't seem as alive to them. Tuscany and Florence they enjoyed, but again, not as much as Rome. Pompeii was a highlight for both. I'm sure every teen is different!

Posted by
15 posts

Thanks Cathy! Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. I think we will go to Rome:) After speaking with both of my girls it seems Rome has more of what they are looking for.