Please sign in to post.

Adapter/ converter

Where and which type of adapter/converter would be good to take to Europe? I haven't been able to find a decent one and was wondering where people found theirs?

Posted by
11359 posts

What kind of electronics do you need to connect? iPAD, phone battery charger, curling iron, usually are dual voltage. I have a collection of simple plug adaptors (described by Lee, sold by Rick Steves for $1.00 each) as well as a variety of transformers and voltage converters. You probably don't need a transformer (heavy duty) but might benefit from a device from http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/elect.htm#hilo like their 1600 watt converter. Again depends on the appliances you are packing along. Lee also mentions the adaptors that are round for the newer European electrical outlets. Walk About Travel Gear has those too. Worth taking one or two along. (I always take extras (more than I absolutely need) because we are forever leaving them behind when we ubplug the device in our hotel or B&B room. They are very expensive in shops here, so try to bring along what you need from the States.)

Posted by
19110 posts

An adapter, or plug adapter (http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=126&id=24), is a mechanical device with the male end designed to go into a European socket (on the continent, two pins on one end) and slotted holes on the other end to accept an American plug. A converter, or voltage converter, is an electronic device to convert 230VAC power in Europe to 120VAC power for American appliances. There are two types of voltage converters, depending on the wattage of you appliance. Low wattage (~50W) electronic appliances, like battery charges, need a transformer. High wattage appliances, like curling irons, need an electronic converter. Low wattage converters used with high wattage appliances will probably burn up; high wattage converters can damage things like power supplies. Some high wattage appliances have a switch to change input voltages and require only a plug adapter. Which do you mean? If your device or power supply is dual voltage, i.e., has a nameplate with something like "Input: 100V-240V 50-60 Hz", you don't need a converter. IMO, high wattage appliances sold in this country should not be used in Europe. Buy one over there for their power. Protection for our appliances is most likely provided by a polarized plug, two blades, one wider than the other. European receptacles are not polarized, so you lose that protection.

Posted by
12040 posts

For an answer to your question... it depends on what devices you plan to take and which countries you plan to visit. We can't even attempt an answer until you provide that information.

Posted by
9363 posts

Don't know what you mean by a "decent" one. You can buy plug adapters anywhere that they sell luggage - Target, Walmart, luggage stores - or at electronics or hardware stores (or on this and other websites). As to whether you need a converter (which I would doubt), it depends on what kinds of electronics you intend to take, and to where.

Posted by
19110 posts

One other thing to consider if you buy a voltage "converter". Some (www.amazon.com/Simran-International-Converter-Countries-SM-1875/dp/B000W91XBO/ref=sr_1_3) of them (for the continent) have the pins protruding from a flat surface. These converters will not engage the contacts in the recessed sockets found in newer construction in Europe. For these converters, you will also need a plug adapter to fit into the recess. Others (www.amazon.com/Simran-SMF-200-Converter-International-Countries/dp/B000W9DJ1Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1341167401&sr=1-2&keywords=voltage+converter+for+europe) have a hole for the round, grounding, third prong on No. American plugs, but the European plug is not grounded. The ground isn't connected to anything.

Posted by
32907 posts

Where in Europe? It does matter as well as all the other questions... Amazingly the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are also part of Europe, as is Ireland. The plugs used there (here) are different from those in the rest of Europe.

Posted by
19110 posts

"Amazingly the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland are also part of Europe" But not part of "continental" Europe. That's why I was careful to specify "the continent" when I described the adapters. Except for the one this site sells, with a plastic "grounding" prong (lot of good that does), it looks like the UK adapters do have an effective ground, so using a No. American grounding plug in one makes sense. The one thing I don't know - Nigel, perhaps you can help here - is whether the UK sockets are polarized. If not, using a polarized N/A plug would not be safe.

Posted by
32907 posts

That's an interesting question, Lee. The expression "polarized" isn't in common parlance but all plugs (and therefor sockets) are wired the same way and cannot be reversed. Of course, human beings do the building wiring and there's a chance mistakes may have been made. But assuming that a complete bodge hasn't been made the Live, Neutral, and Earth wires are always in the same place, along with a switch on the outlet and a fuse in the plug. The fused plugs are in addition to the fused, or more modernly circuit breakered, circuits. Its all pretty well explained at http://www.diybasics.co.uk/wiringaplug.html . Do note that many small appliances which are double insulated come with the Earth prong made of plastic - a classic give-away. Its not possible to plug in backwards. What you don't see are plugs with a completely missing Earth prong. You may be interested that it is only fairly recently that electrical products came with attached plugs. For many many years the box would be opened with anticipation only to find the plug wires hanging free with the buyer needing to buy a plug and affix it before use. Finally now it is illegal to sell without pluggage attached. Every product sold here still has wiring instructions though, and there are very few British who can't fit a plug.

Posted by
619 posts

To expand a bit on what Nigel said so concisely and accurately. The earth pin or prong is longer than the two others, and the live and neutral parts of the socket are shuttered. Inserting the earth pin opens the shutters so that the live and neutral pins can make a connection. This also means that you cannot touch a live pin while inserting a plug in a socket. Some people still use bare wires and matchsticks to get round this!