Please sign in to post.

packing

We will start our trip this summer with a week's stay in Florence and Rome and end with a 10 night cruise. I need advice about packing light and still being appropriate for the cruise.

Thanks,

Betty

Posted by
3428 posts

Find a good "little black dress" that will travel well- probably a knit. Take scarves and "big shirts" to use a jackets- they can also cordinate with pants during the day. Take a skirt that goes with the shirts for less dressy nights. 2 or 3 pair of pants, 1 or 2 skirts, 1 dress, 2 big shirts, 3 Ts and you are set. Take good walking shoes and a pair of ballerina flats or dressy sandals.

Posted by
23267 posts

We have done a number of European cruises. We each have a carryon size backpack style of bags with our usual travel clothes and take one extra, carryon size, rolling bag with the extra clothes required for the cruise. If like I can send our packing lists.

Posted by
19092 posts

I can't give you specific help on cruise packing, but I can tell you to start a packing list now. Keep looking at it periodically, add things as you think of them, delete things you decide you really don't need. That way, when you finally go, you won't forget anything or overpack.

Posted by
12172 posts

Is formal wear required for the cruise? My wife and I took formal wear to our first cruise. Although some people were wearing tuxes and gowns on formal nights, many wore a simple dress/pantsuit or suit/sports coat. If the latter is possible, you may be able to accomodate a decent packable dress and sports coat and tie in your regular packing.

Outside of dressing up, cruise wear is essentially the same travel clothes you will wear in Florence and Rome.

If you are flying into and cruising out of the same location, you can store your cruise wear in a locker. I had a business trip followed by some touring in Germany. At the end of the business trip, I reduced my load to one change of clothes and essentials in a daypack and left the rest at the airport for a week.

Posted by
3580 posts

I start by knowing my max comfortable weight. Then I gather my stuff together, load it into my bag, and if it is too heavy I start "pruning." A basic wardrobe that can be mixed and matched with a dark dress or slacks combined with a nice top or scarf can be dressy enough for almost any occasion. Attractive sandals can be dressy enough and will be useful in hotels and for limited amounts of walking.

Posted by
11507 posts

The crusing does add a different element. I can go three weeks in Europe with a carry on, no problem. but a cruise can be a pain, one must dress for dinner on some lines. And then there are two to three formal nights. Depends on ship, which ship are you going on Betty?

One happy though ( for you anyways, ) may be the thought of packing light for trip and plan on buying some fancy duds in Italy before cruise, an Italian silk dress and lovely leather shoes from Florence, ah, that could be fun!

Posted by
1589 posts

There is an entire section of this board devoted to this question - two in fact! Go back to the main screen and look left.