Please sign in to post.

Paris hostels

I am pricing hostels in paris and see that either you stay in a dump or get in one of the few. I will book my hostel after I get my plane tix and itinerary set up, but have looked on hostel world- the one I like the FIAP jean monnet says there is no online availability- is there no availability or can you call? Other places I saw that are recommended by the hostel guide and hostel world are Oops, le village, and young and happy. I would prefer getting a single or twin since I'm alone, I think it's be weird sleeping with a group of people I don't know! Also- if enough people complain about lack of hot water and no heat at night that''s probably not a good sign eh?

Posted by
267 posts

I can recommend the Auberge Internationale des Jeunes hostel. Since I've only stayed at this one hostel, I cannot compare it with others in Paris or Europe. But after hearing all the hostel horror stories, I was pleasantly surprised and wouldn't mind staying here again. The staff is very warm and multilingual. You can reserve in advance by fax or when you get there. If you want a single or double room, ask for a room in the Bastille Hostel next door (connected by a hallway). I stayed there for one night in a single. I had my own shower and sink. Two toilets were right down the hall.

Amenities: The following things are included: swipe key, CLEAN sheets, luggage storage (if you arrive during lockout, you may store your luggage in the basement for up to 12 hours before you officially move in to your room), simple breakfast: half a baguette, butter, jelly, hot drinks (e.g. coffee, hot chocolate). Lockout 11am-4pm...

Posted by
267 posts

More info:

AIJ is in the 11th arrodissement, in between Place de la Nation and Place de la Bastille. It's not really near any tourist sites, but it's uber-close to the metro (M. Ledru Rollin - line 8 ), and there's a small park nearby. A bar across the street becomes packed with happy young people like yourself at night. Monoprix (store with pretty much everything) is down the street. There's a decent boulangerie with incredibly convenient hours on Rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine. In case you get desperate, McDonalds is pretty much right around the corner.

Overall, the neighborhood is busy, but safe - even at night. Nobody even drives on Rue Trousseau at night, so hostellers hang out in the street/bar/sidewalk.

I stayed in the cheapest kind of room they had. Four people, two sets of bunk beds. Plenty of floor space. Really. I was with three other girls (you know how we pack!) and we all had room for our stuff. We had our own shower, toilet, and sink.

Posted by
64 posts

I will check those out-
just have to say that I laughed about the happy young people like myself part! I usually find people my age annoying and rude,then again I live in the college capital of the world. I have been reading some horror stories about 20 somethings staying in hostels vomiting in the room and partying all night, I hear enough about that here I would hate to go to europe and deal with that. I have seen some places but people say they are hard to find, which is a concern. A free breakfast is always nice, as I could exist all day on yogurt and bread in the morning.
Is the metro easy enough to navigate and could I take it from the airprt if my hostel has a station nearby?

Posted by
5678 posts

While staying in a hostel day in and day out for a long trip can get wearing do not overlook the fact that you can meet some interesting people. They all do not vomit on you. Also, if you're traveling single it's a great way to meet some people to travel with for a while and then go your own way when you ready for some solitude. Meeting people is one of the joys of travel and in hostels you meet people from all over the world. I spent my 45th birthday in a hostel in Scotland after meeting up with a young woman from Australia. Bring ear plugs if you're worried about noise.

Pam

Posted by
64 posts

That is exactly what I was thinking, although it seems young people stay at hostels and not all are respectful, I'll get to meet some more interesting people and they won't all be 21. Thanks!