Please sign in to post.

Luggage security

Anyone know the rules for locks on suitcases while traveling intl? Plan to check my suitcase for my return flight to the US. Departing Amsterdam with a connection in Heathrow, and Dallas. I've never had a problem, but want to keep my souvenirs for myself. Thanks

Posted by
9363 posts

Any lock on a suitcase leaving the US has to be a TSA-approved lock (so they can open it if they want). I stopped using locks, though, and use a small nylon wire tie (cable tie, zip tie, whatever you want to call it). If they want to inspect, they just cut the tie and replace it with another when they are done. It's also kind of a good way to see if they did inspect, because their ties are never the same color as mine. But your souvenirs - or any valuables - really should be in your carryon bag, not your checked bag, anyway.

Posted by
6788 posts

Never put anything in your checked baggage that you're not prepared to lose. I use the little TSA locks - and a bright, nean-yellow plastic zip-tie (that's generally what those things are called, Nancy). I figure there's a 50/50 chance the lock will be cut off (and don't care about the zip tie). I figure it's part of the cost of flying to the other side of the world.

Posted by
32212 posts

Denise, I always use a TSA Lock on my checked Backpack during air travel. If the authorities want to inspect it, that presumably allows them to do that. It also has the effect of discouraging "opportunistic theft" and also making sure the zippers stay closed during the trip. I've only had the Lock cut-off by airport security on one occasion, which was a RyanAir flight from Bristol to Dublin. They didn't leave a card inside stating the bag had been inspected, just cut the lock off and didn't even attach a nylon tie or anything to keep the zippers closed.

Posted by
23284 posts

That is Ryan air. You are lucky they didn't charge your for the inspection. I am with Nancy on this one. We use the cable ties and have never had a problem. HOWEVER, if you use them you need to carry something to cut them. I use a big toe nail clipper that I put in an unsecured pocket on the suitcase. In this part of the country they are called cable ties and you can get them at any hardware store especially Home Depot. The problem with TSA locks is that they are only good for the US and they have been more than one report on this site of TSA locks being removed in Europe.

Posted by
9363 posts

David, I'm well aware of what they are called. The ones we used at my factory job were labeled "wire ties" on the package they arrived in. I have also seen them labeled as cable ties and zip ties. It just depends on the brand - there is no "generally". What is the point of using both, though? If they cut the lock they will also cut the tie. Frank, on my recent trip to Spain, I used a lightweight tie that I could break with my keys. My bag, however, was inspected and it was replaced with a much more robust one. Laughing at myself, I had to go out in Madrid to find something to cut it with. The clipper I bought is still in my bag's outside pocket. I won't forget to check again.

Posted by
5530 posts

I just use a plain twist-tie (like you get with at the grocery store) All I'm trying to do is keep the bag from opening in transit and slow down someone who is looking for the easiest opening bag. I figure if someone really wants to get in the bag, they'll be able to open any lock. But regardless, if it is valuable put it in your carry-on. I've only had something go missing from baggage once. My bag got "lost" on an Alitalia flight from London to Cairo via Rome. When it was delivered to the hotel a day later, my hairdryer was missing. I didn't report it because I just assumed I'd forgotten to pack it, but it wasn't in my flat when I got home so clearly it was taken along the way.

Posted by
1068 posts

I use the little numbered plastic ties RS and others sell. Keeps the zipper closed and you'll know if someone gets in. Although they just break off, I had one replaced by a heavy zip tie after an inspection. What a pain.

Posted by
1840 posts

The zipper pulls on our bags have holes for locks that I enlarged a bit to accomodate the carabiners. The zipper pull on my Duluth Pack bag was big enough. My wife's purse needed a little help like our bags. If a pull does not have a hole it is a simple matter of center punching a spot and drilling a hole. Usually a 3/16 hole will be enough. If you don't have a drill you may enlarge a hole by using a small round file such as a chain saw file, or or a small rat tail file.

Posted by
1840 posts

Additionally, those little carabiners are found in the key grinding section of hardware stores.

Posted by
11507 posts

Gosh, I have never locked my bag, but luckily I fly direct, I figure more stops just means more chances my luck will run out and my bag will be lost. I think if something is really important to you, or valuable, it should always go in your carry on though

Posted by
1840 posts

We use those little spring-loaded carabiners that are meant to be used as key rings. They hold zipper closed, hold bags and purses closed, and hold name tags to luggage. There is no waste as with plastic ties. What do you do with the plastic ties and twist ties when you cut them or are finished with them? Throw them away? Where is away?

Posted by
9363 posts

Monte, I have never seen a carabiner thin enough to fit through the lock holes on my bag, but it's a good idea.

Posted by
69 posts

Thanks! Had'nt thought of zip ties, that's what I'll try. Usually I carry my luggage on board but I plan to buy some perfume and cosmetics. Good tip about a nail clipper to cut it off. I also use a narrow carabiner on my purse. Picked mine up at REI, less than 3$.

Posted by
3207 posts

I use diaper pins. Not anything worth stealing in any bag that I check.

Posted by
199 posts

Dear Denise: We use those TSA locks with an indicator button. It is green if no one opens it. Once opened, the button turns red. So far, so good even though we know foreign airports could cut them open and leave the bags unsecured. These locks aren't cheap, and we always bring a spare. For added security, we use luggage straps tied in a certain way, so we'll know if someone opens our bags. Besides slowing down a would-be thief, it keeps our bags from popping open which has happened. We try to use straps with metal buckles which are more durable than plastic. But a determined thief will get in. Someone took a bottle of wine we were bringing our host right out of our checked bag and left everything else neatly folded. So we totally agree with other posters who suggest you carry valuables and anything important in your carryon. Good Luck!